ZX7R brake bleed secrets.

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by kneedragon, Aug 14, 2011.

1. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

I know some of us have raced ZX7Rs and would know all the arcane secrets of fettling their inner workings. I have a chap on notrider asking about bleeding the front brake on his (well 2nd hand) ZX7R. He tells me testily that he knows how to bleed brakes, but he's still got a spongy lever. Is there a special trick to it? Where do bubbles hide, and how do you cast out the evil spirits?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PiJiL

PiJiL Steve Macqueen Award

Bleed the banjo's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

The only suggestions I can come up with sound rude :shrug:

5. kneedragon

Ta.

6. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

What pij said :up:

And what MissB said :err:

7. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Define spongy? Is it just old crappy rubber hoses?
    What has he actually done so far?
    Does the MC have a bleeder?
    Do his clip-ons have a pronounced drop (can trap air in the MC and Banjos)?

8. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Not specific to ZX7R's... but on most bikes, with the calipers bolted on, the bleed doesn't draw from the top of the upper cylinder, so it can't possibly get all the air out. You need to tilt the bike, or take the calipers off and clamp them onto a bit of metal etc, so the bleeder is vertical.

I'm yet to meet anyone who can bleed bike brakes to give a solid lever first up. They are a pita. Expensive master cylinders seem to make the process a bit easier...

9. pah68

pah68 aka Paul

Tell him to ignore the brakes and practice hitting the apex at speed.

10. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

I'd be checking the fusable link, there could a problem with the bubble-o-matic.

11. kneedragon

The whole sorry saga.

http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=123292

It seems the lever is a bit soft. Part of the line is already either solid line or braided line, but the initial drop from the master cylinder is rubber.

... things to do ...

Right - he started out asking if a soft lever could be due to worn pads. It went from there. He says he's bled it. I said bleed it again. He says he's done it twice. I said he isn't doing it right. I suggested zip ties and rubber bands, steam driven Krupp Industrial penis enlargers. He told me he knows how to bleed brakes, thank you. Then he let slip that he never realised the brake line splits into two at a little fitting near the mud guard... So I told him to bleed the brakes again. He wants to know if he can get some blank length of braided line and buy the banjo bolts and roll his own. I pointed out that I haven't ever owned the crimping tool and wouldn't know how to use it right if I had. I pointed out that you can pick up a complete front Galfer set for $US49. Then he wants to know if there's any special tricks and tips about ZX7Rs that makes bleeding them hard. I rolled my eyes, counted to ten, and said I'd ask the people who raced them.

And here we are. Some day son, all this will be yours.

PS. His 7R is - by his own admission - gender confused. Whether that's relevant I don't know but I'm starting to see where it might have gotten the idea that it could be Arthur or Martha.

#10 kneedragon, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011