ZX6R Racer Rebuild finally commences

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by strika, Feb 7, 2007.

1. strika

strika Track Junkie

I finally found some time today to take a few hours off work and do a little work in the shed.

I had already put the motor into the frame, but had only just sat it in the frame, and not completed the job. So it was sitting in the shed held onto the frame by the two rear engine mount bolts which were not even done up. So basically it's a start from engine almost out job, except I had slid the motor into the frame already.

So today, I did up the four engine mounts, refitted the headers and muffler, radiator, hoses, electrics, carbs, throttle and clutch cables. Then refitted the brakes, changed the sprockets ready for Broadford and refitted the rear wheel. I have the battery sitting on charge as we speak. It hasn't been used for a year now, so i am thinking the battery may have had enough. (it was 12 years old believe it or not!!!!!! and never left on a trickle charge at all. Just raced, disconnected, recharged and raced again so I am happy with it's life [​IMG] )

Once the battery is charged, or replaced whichever is neccesary, I will give it some fuel and see if this new wiz bang motor lives first of all, then secondly that it lives..up to it's expectations!!!!! [​IMG]

Once it's running, I'll then refit the airbox, tank and bodywork in readyness for saturdays ride day at broadford. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SCC

SCC Old slow and forgetful

Ahh the green machine :D Bout time you got off your arse, I was missing these posts

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. strika

strika Track Junkie

It was a dry year for racing last year!!! Work just continually scheduled itself right bang smack on every meeting that was held bar the ones I missed cause I didn't have a motor!!!:(

This year..hopefully, I can get out and do what I was going to do last year. and that is to do all 5 rounds of the interclub series. Also, being in NSW for a fair amount of time this year, I may even drag the bike up with me and see if i can time it for a run with RussM8 in his series!!! We have the same yearmodels, so should be in the same races!! Now that'd be fun!!!:smokin:

5. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

So what's the donk now? Anything special?

Or is a ZX6 engine that does more than 2 days without blowing up "special" for you ATM...!!! :D

Yeah, keep the reports coming - they make my Kanushoo reports seem almost sane sometimes...

6. strika

strika Track Junkie

Mate, a ZX6 engine which does more than 12 laps is special for me these days!!!!<roll

This motor, is the one that I have done everything to. Top end, bottom end and gearbox! So I am hopeing that if I treat it nice, and don't go overeving it, it may actually last a season!:D

This one is gunna be a cracker though. It's the one which we weighed all the parts, and matched them as best we could to each other without taking any metal off them. So hopefully it will spin up like a gooden!:smokin:

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

Seems like a prefect 'scuse for a new Dyna 2000 with programmable limmiter...

and one of these... :D

Attached Files:

8. strika

strika Track Junkie

Pity it only goes to 12,000rpm Russ!! I gues it'd stop me overrevving it though!!!:D

Speaking of adjustable rev limiters, I heard somewhere that you can get these pretty good value ones somewhere for about $100??? Anyone know???

I don;t want to change my ignitor, as it has a special ignition curve built into it, but I would like some sort of external rev limiter fitted. I am no longer needing to rev it to 16,000rpm to chase out the last HP from it for a national race, so 14,000 rpm will be just fine!:)

9. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Jaycar have a kit for a limiter I think... hmm,
    here it is, but it's way too bulky for a bike:
    rev limiter kit
    Then there's this one:
    Freq switch
    which just triggers a relay at a preset rpm.. it could be used as a limiter, although it would be more work. Really you want something that just flutters the ignition, rather than stopping it dead... and blowing the exhaust off when it fires again :lol:

You'd have to be able to solder, too :confused:

I'm in the process of building a tacho/shift-light/temp gauge for the TZ. It's in the protoype stage and works and is reasonably compact... but way too much work to crank out in numbers. Haven't incorporated a limiter in the design, I guess I could do it but you wouldn't get it until 2008 :cool:

10. strika

strika Track Junkie

OK, I'll have one next year when they are done then!:)

11. strika

strika Track Junkie

I started it nad had it running tonight. But it's not going to Broadford tomorrow, as I have a carby glitch I couldn't sort tonight???? I think I may have a blocked jet. It runs on 3 till you get it onto the mains, when it runs like a rocket!:) It does sound good at about 10k running staticly in my shed! The neighbour was wrapped! He had a bit of a whinge, so I told him his dog makes more noise in a day than I do with my race bike in a year!!!!!:rofl: Silly prick. Anyhoo......I will pull orf the carbs next week and give them a clean and see what happens. So it's the 9 for tomorrows track day. While it won't steer like my racer:( .....It will wheelie down the hill and spin up out of 1, 6 and the left hander onto the chute!:D :D Woohoo!