ZX6 Gearing for P.Island?

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by strika, Jun 28, 2005.

1. tarmac

tarmac New Member

Forget what I said, I have found some data. My honda runs 16/43 (272km/h) standard so I put on 16/44 for the island giving a top speed of 266 or something.
    Is you ZX6 a 2003? If it is are these the correct gear ratio figures?
    Primary 2.022
    1st 2.923
    2nd 2.056
    3rd 1.772
    4th 1.450
    5th 1.272
    6th 1.153
    Final drive 15/40

If these are correct your 1st gear is lower than mine and the rest of the ratios are wider spaced.
    The best combination I can find is for you to run a 15-38. I don't think you'll rev it out down the front straight but it should be very good for the turns.
    The ZX6 gearbox above is close ratioed 1st to 5th the tall 6th for cruising. Good for the road but shit for the track.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strika

strika Track Junkie

Nice work Tarmac. :clap: See Fluffy, all you have to do is ask!:D owever mine is an 05' and from memory i think it may have different ratios?????? I know it has a few of the 03/04 RR bits such as a cam or cams???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tarmac

tarmac New Member

They have changed the primary drive ratio and third gear but they also changed the final drive sprockets. I still say 2 off the rear from what ever standard is.

4. strika

strika Track Junkie

If i take two teeth off the rear then arn't i likely not to pull 6th down the chute? Mind it might make 1 and 12 better;) with 4th gear having the right revs on board.

5. tarmac

tarmac New Member

If I have the gear ratios correct 4th gear in your bike is with that final drive would be 6mph slower than my bike at the same rpm. What does your rev to?

6. strika

strika Track Junkie

15,500rpm tarmac!:eek:

7. tarmac

tarmac New Member

Ah, that makes a bog difference. I thought it was 13500. With the higher rpm you can use lower gearing and get more acceleration but use the extra 2000rpm to bring up the speed.
    +3 on the rear then.

8. strika

strika Track Junkie

Or one less on the front:err:

9. tarmac

tarmac New Member

running smaller sprockets wastes horse power ;)

10. strika

strika Track Junkie

furry nuts, i will go +3 at the back then:) I might have to do the dirt bike too. Speaking of which, did i tell you that i am going trailbike riding tomorrow Tarmac?:D