Yellow doesn't help

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Apr 29, 2014.

1. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Meh, if drivers can't see a rider on a bright yellow bike (culminating in being driven into from behind) high vis vests aren't going to make any difference

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

That is still the best argument going isn't it. That there is no actual evidence that they help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

I made a small, personal observation when on a construction site in hi-vis obsessed UK recently, that when EVERYONE is wearing them, you become almost unobservant. The people who actually stood out the most were the truck drivers in plain clothes, they were the easiest to see..

#23 Backmarker, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Exactly! Standing out matter. Here, driving with the headlights on at all times is mandatory. What do you see? The one who forgot to put the lights on....

5. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

I don't know that hiVis helps. Much of the time it doesn't seem to make any difference, particularly when everybody wears it. But it doesn't hurt. And the employer or who-ever can say "But I did everything in my power to make it safe!" And THAT is what it's all about. It covers your arse a little, on site, and it covers your boss's arse a lot in court.

I did have to wear the silly vest all the time I was at or with TopRider. It's just industry standard. It's a bit like a seatbelt in a car. When it first becomes mandatory, it rankles a bit, but you get used to it. It vanishes after a while. Except in court...

#25 kneedragon, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

If you forgot to wear it and T-boned a car, then you get the blame. That's what happens when something like this becomes compulsory

Are learner riders harder to see than other riders?

7. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

KD at least with seatbelts and motorcycle helmets, there's shitloads of evidence to say they work. I'm not a fan of mandatory bicycle helmet rules though, simply because it stops some people from riding bicycles.

8. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Well yes, I wouldn't say hivis is as effective as seatbelts, that's not what I mean. If you've driven cabs for a while and gotten used to operating without them, or let's say wearing them optionally, sometimes, then going back to each and every time is a... not a pain, it's just inconvenient, and you keep forgetting. It gets on ya nerves... But then you get used to it and it becomes a habit again.

9. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

Of course not but it's easier to further marginalise a minority group as the thin edge of the wedge. Give it a year or so and the grubberment will be lauding the success of hivis on learners and extending it to all motorcycle riders. They wanted to do it already but didn't think they had enough community support....

10. JNO

JNO New Member

It doesn't matter what you're wearing if the other guy isn't looking.