Yellow doesn't help

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Apr 29, 2014.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

According to a study in Sweden done in 1997 as well as later study in Norway, wearing yellow or other sharp colours while riding didn't make it any easier for drivers to pick up and observe motorcyclists.

So perhaps it's OK to be black :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Link? (Yeh I know it won't be in English)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

I read somewhere there was a study about visibility of vehicles, that found the most easily identified vehicle was a police motorcycle, so I imagine in countries where police motorcyclists wear fluoro yellow it might help a little. I've got myself a white helmet on that basis, that it might help my presence register before people work out its not police. Riding a white FJR 1300 might help more.

5. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

If you are not riding like you are completely invisible you are doing it wrong anyway ;)

6. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

I've just proofed an article (on which I'm an author :( ) where we make a big fuss about the fact that making a significant change in the composition of you diet (1 SD in one of the first principal components, to be technical) resulted in a significant difference in the rate of long term weight-change.

By 18g/ year.

I believe road safety epidemiology is an even worse intellectual slum than nutrition. I wouldn't pay much attention...

7. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

Well, if you live to 100 that could add up to almost as much as your daily weight fluctuation from water loss.

I actually don't find I have any issues with being seen, even when I didn't have a white helmet. I also chose it because it looks like a storm trooper helmet from star wars, which probably has no safety implication at all unless there are jedis about.

Actually I did once have a collision with someone who didn't see me, but since she was reversing without looking behind I don't think it would make a lot of difference if I was in a truck.

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

http://nmcu.org/if-mener-gult-m-med-i-skinnbekledningen

http://arkiv.nmcu.org/publ/att_synas_eller_inte/index.html

9. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Not a perfect translation, but I think the point is there;

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, we have spoken about that before. We humans are programmed to observe prey and danger, the rest has much less interest. Which is why somebody can stare directly at you and not see you, also because the brain adds 85% of what we "see" - only 15% is actually direct and accurate observation.

Moving/slaloming is a way to break from the background and draw attention to yourself.

11. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member