Yamaha Calipers.

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by pah68, Apr 13, 2003.

1. pah68

pah68 aka Paul

I've heard somewhere that I can whack on R1 or R6 calipers onto my '90 FZR600. Apparently they bolt straight onto just about all the later Yamaha sports bikes? Anyone no whether this is true? I'd love a little extra stopping power.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Snap! there went them old spindly fork legs, broken in two :lol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pah68

pah68 aka Paul

Nah, it'd never happen. My discs are warped so I can't get a firm clamp on them anyway :lol:

5. t2k

t2k King Missile

Easy. Trade it in and get a GSX-R600. That way ya don't have to stuff around getting yer hands dirty which gives ya more time for Riding. Yeehaa...

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Speaking of the 600 - all 600 fans should get the latest CW issue where they compare R6, CBR-RR and F4i, -6R and RR, Gixxer and Ducati 749.

And I must say that I like the looks of the Gixxer best by a wide margin. The new Honda RR also looks good, as do last year's model. The R6 in black with some red flames or something on it looks blah, and the new Kawa only looks cool in green (sorry, uncle :wink: ) . But then again, I am not your most likely sport bike customer, so what do I know. What I do know, is that the Suzuki is the only one that looks like a full-grown motorcycle with no lines trying to destroy the others.

7. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Does the Honda win ?

Did they put the 636 up against them or the 600 Kwaka ?

8. JohnM

JohnM matured old fart

A sneaky way of checking the transplantability of Yamaha breaks would be to do some enquiries from Harris the after market billet caliper makers.See if the parts catalogue numbers match or ask at the local wreckers.A set of PFM or similar after market cast iron discs will get you better braking versus the original genuine items and a bit cheaper to buy as well

9. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The R6 won, putting down the fastest lap time of the day, and it was the fastest for 6 of the 7 participating riders. The CBR600RR was only marginally slower with its best lap (less than a tenth), but slower it was. Half a second further back came the 636, with the 6RR 3/10s arears and the Gixxer another 4/10s behind that again. Another half-second and we arrive at the "old" CBR600, which came home 4/100 of a second in front of the 749. In total, lap times in the 95-second bracket, the difference between fastest and slowest was less than 1.8 seconds.

10. pah68

pah68 aka Paul

I might have to stroll down to the local wreckers and have a bit of a sticky beak I reckon :)

11. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Really. That is interesting. All the others tests I have read have the 636 or the CBR6RR getting the nod.

I suspect that the R6 would be the easiest to ride quick though. But I would never expect the R6 to lap quicker. I have ridden the 636 on the track but not the R6, but I have street ridden the R6 and it felt a bit tame compared to the 636 to be honest, but it could well be one of those bikes where everything gels just right on the track.