Xp

Discussion in 'Nerd Stuff' started by Adam, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Okay, laptop (at home) has blown up. I was in the process of upgrading windows from the microsoft site - it loaded everything okay and when I went to reboot it, nothing. Says my BIOS is corrupt or the file isn't there. Supposedly I can repair it.

I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve before completely re-installing XP again but I've got a few questions.

1. Has anyone come across this before?
    2. Will I lose any music/photos files etc if I re-install windows?

Cheers!

3. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

If you have the original XP discs you can do a "Repair Install" (or some such)...doesn't require formatting hard drive so won't lose those files, I think it just re-installs the basic XP files. This will mean that you lose any patch stuff that you have downloaded from MS...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

The BIOS is what loads windows, not really anything to do with windows, so reinstalling windows won't fix it. Fix the BIOS first then figure out if windows needs fixing.

5. dazza

dazza New Member

What is the actual error?

It rebooted and said my BIOS is corrupt?

What said the BIOS is corrupt? Initial screen or a screen that came up during the windows load?

Some systems will reset the bios to defaults if you hold down the delete key while powering up

#4 dazza, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. Adam

Adam New Member

Okay, thanks guys. It's all fixed now. I went onto the microsoft website and found a page that highlighted all the errors SP2 gave "older" machines. My compaq's got an AMD chip, not intel which gives XP SP2 the $hits. Remember back in 2000 when the supply of intel chips dried up?

Anyway, copied over a new BIOS (from the boot up window), re-loaded XP and after calling the MS 1800 number to get my 42 digit code thing - it's amazing they've got a record of something which was purchased in 2000 - it now works a treat! It's soooo much faster. I reckon the registry (and the "windows32" directory) was corrupt.

So it now sees my ipod AND the new seagate 250gig harddrive that I recently bought - go get one! $149.00 at harvey norman - DO IT!

#5 Adam, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  7. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

Good to see you got it sorted.

I wouldn't shop at Hardley Normal though...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...