Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Nov 7, 2019.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

I was looking at GPS based speedometers from Speedhut - they look pretty good, but I recall reading somewhere that they weren't ADR compliant. Something about the GPS not working in tunnels or something. Otherwise it makes for a beautifully minimalist instrument cluster.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. byknblood

byknblood ATheC

Plenty of hot rods running gps speedo's, as I will be also, already have my speedhut gauges on the shelf in my shed.
    All legal in WA.

jonescg likes this.
  5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

What model will you fit, provided you have decided?

6. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

Yes silly money for what they are.

I'd personally use a mobile phone. If your bike has an OBD connector on the ECU, you can get tacho/speedo apps that will display speed/revs and all other bike related info and work like the real deal and look similar and have the same functions as all of the modern TFT displays that motorcycles are shipped with.

Of course a phone will not be for everyone, as you might want a more classic traditional look if using it for a naked/cruiser.

7. byknblood

byknblood ATheC

Sorry Faffi, I should have said the one's I have are for my Hotrod, not motorcycle.
    Five gauges including speedo and tach cost me $950 aud about four years ago when the aussie peso was worth something.
    Cheers, Alan.

faffi likes this.
  8. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

What's the accuracy of the GPS speedo like? I recall driving with one of those navcams before they got killed off by mobile phones and the GPS speed seemed quite good, though it was gut feeling