What did you do to your bike today?

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by faffi, Aug 10, 2009.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Idea stolen from another forum. Maybe the topic will sit here, silently adding posts as time goes by. Could even be made into a sticky if others find this of interest :shrug:

Anyway, I'll start, getting the longest post out of the way :err:

Spent 20 hours on my project this weekend - and my knees are hurting like hell for all the kneeling and squatting. But at least there is progress.

Enough of that - this is what I've done:
    • Adjusted the valves
    • Fitted the Thunderbird valve cover to the Daytona engine
    • Fitted the TB waterpump and hoses to the D engine
    • Fitted the clutch slave cylinder from the TB to the D engine
    • Improved the finish on plenty of stuff
    • Removed ignition lock from the D (needed drilling) and fitted to the TB (did you know you had to drop the lower triple clamps in order to get the top off the Daytona due to the design of the lock [​IMG] )
    • Cleaned out 16 years of gunk from the D engine and sprocket cover - you couldn't cram in one more grain of sand there, it was chock full (silly design, this - I understand the idea of having the needle bearing for the shifter running in engine oil, but no matter how many rags you stuff into the cavity, some dirt will find its way into the engine and can you be sure you get it all out?)
    • Fitted engine to frame (took me several tries until I grasped that the front was hanging too low - raising the front and fitting the front mounts first before jacking up engine in the back made it oh so much easier)
    • Hooked up electrical cables
    • Fitted radiator
    • Fitted ignition coils
    • Cut off front indicator stalks (I will fit them to the radiator shrouds)
    • Made a bracket to fasten the horn to the D engine (cast lug only present on the TB style engine)
    • Removed the two exhaust studs on the TB that didn't have the nuts rusted stuck and fitted to the D engine (the other 10 pairs will need to have their nuts split and threads refreshened before fitting them)
    • Fastened swingarm (who keeps two 12mm hex keys in their tool box [​IMG] improvised with an 8mm bolt/12mm head locked with two nuts)
    • Torqued everything to spec (save the output sprocket - 135 Nm [​IMG] I managed around 40 before the wheel started turning. And seeing the the old D sprocket was little more than hand tight and had survived lots of wheelies and hard riding by my brother, I thing it's more than enough - after all, there is a tab to lock the nut in position)
    • Likely little things I've forgotten about already
    20 hours for this little work is a lot of time. I'm a slow worker for several reasons; freshining up every thread on bolts and nuts not going absolutely smoothly, cleaning and polishing as I go, touch up paint, making sure two or five times over that I'm doing the right thing etc. takes time - as well as me refusing to rush things just to get finished. I find it changes things from fun to stress.

But my knees would definitely feel better today if I had made it in 8 hours instead of twenty [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Walked out the front door, removed the disc lock, fired it up and rode it out onto the street then parked it; the furniture mob were delivering the new TV unit and the bike was blocking their access.

After they'd left, I moved it back and locked it up again.

:smile:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ashley

Ashley Captain Triumph

Today, mmm, I ignored it :D

5. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

hmmm......

<----------

:) :) :) :roost: :) :) :)

6. don41

don41 New Member

Well I removed the forks from my 'new' Honda H100 Bucket racer. Mmmmm...interesting crud stuff came out, plus a couple of nuts used as spacers. Motivation came due the silly thing seemingly hinged in the middle through 'fast' (bucket fast!). Feels like it has an up and down movement, plus side to side at the same time. It's scary! Maybe there's a CV joint somewhere?
    Must ask Graham B what's going on!
    Da Colonel

7. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

Removed gearsack rack, Washed it, dried it, rode it round to see the couzzies (about 2km round trip), rode home in the rain :S), parked up out the back for a rinse.

8. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

My weekend (and the tail of last week)
    Stripped engine, cleaned. Replaced rings, rebuilt. Yet to test. replaced belts, re-set the valve train.

As an off side- Strip, re-ring and rebuild (including an assortment of bearings) cost 400€ which I don't think too bad?? That included a non genuine gasket kit which was a total waste of money- about 4 seals were any good. Even the metal barrel gaskets were missing the dowel holes (had to use the old gaskets as templates and re-drill). I'll look up the brand in a minute to remind ALL to never buy this brand!! I had to then buy all the missing gaskets individually..

9. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

Fitted clipons i bought off ebay for $17.50 including postage :D

Moved the handlebars down and fowards 19cm!

Not too much stuffing around involved and can now swap between the two at will in about 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

Also adjusted the steering head bearings, fitted new wheel bearings, sprayed some paint over the dents in the tank and gave the bike a quick clean, off to work now to try it out.

10. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Put the battery on the charger Saturday morning...

11. ohmygewd

ohmygewd >Insert Here

With a month look straight started on "Clean the fark out of the Husky WR360" Project.

Week 1 + 2

• Pulled off all broken plastics.
    • Check and repack head stem bearings.
    • Repack front wheel bearing.
    • Replace rusted fork, headstem bolts with stainless or alloy hex caps.
    • Straighten bark busters.
    • Fashioned new barkbuster handle inserts.
    • Pull carb apart, cleaned and check float height.
    • Replaced needle and jets.
    • Cleaned and repacked muffler.
    • Tried to pop large dents from expansion chamber - sent to bike shop (need to move my friggin neck for that).
    • Pulled all connectors and sprayed them with contact cleaner.
    • Repacked rear wheel bearings.
    • Cleaned chain and dipped in in hot motor oil.
    • Lubed clutch cable and throttle cables.
    • New grips.
    • Replaced bolts holding sprocket after 2 were seized (replaced with nulocks).
    • Straighten rear brake master cylinder (has 1mm clearance from chain).
    • Repacked swingarm and suspension linkages.
    • Replaced rear shock.
    • Replaced majority of bolts with hex caps.
    Yet to do (week 3):

• Awaiting fork seals to rebuild new forks.
    • Apply sticker kit.
    • Dings popped off expansion chamber.
    • rear guard.
    • rear brake light.
    • Clean air filter and relube new one.
    • New front sprocket.
    • Relink chain.
    • Check to see if WR450 Magura Hydraulic clutch can be modified to suit.
    • If not, await new ASV clutch and brake levers.
    • Change front wheel to a Michelin S12 or Dunlop D756
    Week 4-5

• Assemble and add blingness
    • Test ride
    • Crash
    • Watch the cricket
    • Do it all again
    :p

#10 ohmygewd, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009