West's Saving Grace?

Discussion in 'Moto2 & Moto3' started by PeterM, Aug 24, 2011.

1. PeterM

PeterM New Member

3. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

ROFL -
    Yep, we dug him up and rinsed off the flaky stuff and put a spanner in his hand, and off he went. You just know he's done it before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Wow, that would explain how he accumulated all that set up knowledge... racing bullock carts down the hill from the castle in Transylvania.

Seriously, someone technical should interview Willing, with sodium pentathol if necessary. He makes Burgess look like a beginner. Where does he live these days?

Question: he helped develop the KTM 2-strokes... West spent a year as a KTM factory pilot. Did they work together there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kneedragon

I think they did, sort of. As I recall, Willing was at the factory and working with test-riders and engineers there, and Casey was out racing. They spoke, but Willing wasn't Casey's crew chief. I could be wrong.

6. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

No, not with Stoner on the 125, West on the 250?

7. kneedragon

Don't know.

8. PiJiL

PiJiL Steve Macqueen Award

:rofl:

9. GD66

GD66 New Member

Wasn't Warren Willing at KTM when they got West on board to ride the 250 ? I seem to recall there was a problem with the bike seizing, notably at a damp Donington, West said the thing was a terror and fairly promptly got the flick. Also I remain unconvinced about Willing's skills apart from his longevity, he was pretty happy to soak up the limelight around KR Junior's title year but soon departed to be one of the faceless in the background of a number of less successful teams, including his tenure at KTM.
    Last season and into this year he was looking after Attard's privateer bike in the ASBK series which did nothing too special, so for mine I can't see a union with West, who seems to be doing no more than going through the motions for the last couple of years, helping anybody at all.
    Time will tell.

10. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

He crewed for Rainey, who had a bit of success, and also on the KR3 project which definitely took a step back when he left for Suzuki. The time he was at Suzuki was the first time their bikes had been competitive for several years, which they stopped being pretty much as soon as he left.

He developed the chassis for KTM's, which were both reputed to handle quite well... I don't think he can be held reponsible for the crankshaft seizures (that would be Bartol's department).

It does seem to be true that all of his success has been with 2-strokes, so it will be interesting to see if he can turn things around at MZ. The Moto-2's seem to be a right bugger to set up: look at someone like Iannone, who can go from qualifying outside the top 20 to winning... and people like Kallio who can clearly ride, but are stuck mid-pack.

11. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Willing was every bit as good as JB, as a crew chief, and a better rider. :smile: