Went for a ride

Discussion in 'Rides' started by Cal, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

Did a 2 day dirt ride in the High Country over the weekend. It was from Wandiligong to Mt Bulla and back. The weather was hot, 30+ each day, and there were 30 bikes, so it was very dry and dusty. My lungs are still recovering. We did 350kms of bull dust, wide open tracks that you could drive a car up, big long hills littered with bowling ball sized rocks, endless down hills and stuff that I don't usually ride on my dirt bike. And there's a reason for that. I don't really enjoy it. Some of the blokes seemed to love it, mostly locals, but it ain't for me. About 80% of it would have been much better on my GS than on a focused off roader like my 300. It was a well organised trip, 3 x 4WDs carrying fuel, over night gear and food for lunch stops and the fellas all seemed like good blokes, but I found myself thinking that it would be great on the Adv bikes without the support 4WDs. There were enough 4WDs out there already and the way some blokes ride those open dusty tracks, they are just begging to become a mascot on a bull bar. Going 3 abreast around blind corners while only being able to see 3mt in front is going to end in tears one day. Give me 60kms of muddy, technical single track over 180kms of rocks and bull dust any day.

It is, however, an absolutely beautiful part of the world to look at, so here's some pics.

DSC_0039_zps0a6fd288.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsa7788568.jpg

DSC_0036_zps65ad3aee.jpg

DSC_0032_zps068547fa.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Cal, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Sounds like a GS ride for sure!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

I've seen the way some of those locals drive their Patrols and whatnot...I'm nervous enough in the Hilux.

Looks very nice up there...might have to do a family overnighter I'm thinking.

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing :up:

6. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Yes, thank you Cal.

7. shanes

shanes New Member

big turn out , looks like a lot of fun

8. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

That is the infamous Craig's Hut in the last pic, or at least Craig's Hut V3.0 as it's been burned down at least twice I believe.

9. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

Awesome stuff Cal. I love the mountains :)

10. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Dismantled once and burnt once.
    The original was a film prop, hollow on the inside and they ended needing to pull it doxn as an OHS risk to the DNRE (or whatever they are called/wer called/will be called) . But it was such a popular site that the Association of 4WD clube rebuilt a replica (which sounds stupid when you realise the original wasn't an original). Then it burned.

I used to know that area so well from my 4wd days...