want to buy a motard...

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by sbyzfr1, May 29, 2015.

1. sbyzfr1

sbyzfr1 New Member

right so its been a while since i've owned a bike, but starting to get itchy feet...was thinking maybe buying a 748 or something to ride occasionally, but then i thought thats 8k tied up for little use...enter motard as an option...

what am i best doing here?

something like:
    a dirt bike (say wr450) converted to a motard which includes dirt bike gear as well so i can use to go dirt biking
    or
    something like this - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nort...ke-2005-ktm-640lc4-e-super-motard-/1078833834
    an actual purpose built motard?

would be used for cruising on streets, moreso track days...

note wifey has been informed of my intentions - but haven't struck a deal as yet.

3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Be careful with the latter 400/450 singles. While they may go like cut cats, their maintenance schedules are pretty demanding. If you want to use it for both, then a 300 EXC would be the go; plenty of get up and go, but light enough to pick up easily, when you drop it in the bush.

Be prepared to fork out up to a couple of grand for the road wheels, then you'll need a separate chain and sprockets (yes, BOTH sprockets), for when you swap them over. Might as well get the Fr&Rr discs while you're at it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Forgiveness is sometimes easier to get than permission...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sbyzfr1

sbyzfr1 New Member

6. Morpheus46

Morpheus46 aka John

The Suzuki DRZ 400 is a good option as they are not in too high a state of tune but still go well. My mate has one for weekend rides and reckons it makes his other bikes redundant.
    I have a KTM640 SM which apart from vibrating like a jack hammer is awesome, and leaves everything else in its wake in the twisties. My VFR800 is beginning to feel neglected.

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

DRZ400 mate.
    reliable, fast enough to get the idea, easy to own. Still a real mootang.

Unlike Yam 660 cc thing they launched a while ago, it was too heavy and rode like a road bike, not a dirt bike on slicks.

8. sbyzfr1

sbyzfr1 New Member

but can the drz sm be converted back to a dirt bike easily enough (i.e. rims sprockets etc) or is it actually tuned/geared/setup for road use?

9. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Yep.

Top end life is measured in hours, not kilometres, the DR Z's a better option if you want a 4-stroke that you're not constantly rebuilding. There's a few different models; Suzuki even did a motard version - it was a slug. They don't handle long runs on the highway all that well, neither will the 300 EXC, and if that's what you were after, the DR/KLR 650's are better suited, although a bit heavier in the dirt.

RUSS M8 will point you in the right direction, he knows stuff.

An XR650 makes a brilliant all-rounder. Does the motard stuff really well, and if you're heading out of town, throw the 26 litre tank on, and away you go...on the back wheel, if you like.

10. flash

flash New Member

SM610. Better in everyway than the DRZ and in my opinion better than the LC4s too!

11. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Yeah, and the XT600. They look like a trailbike, and if you get on one after a big 4 cyl roadie, they feel a bit like one, but if you actually try and use them on dirt, not the case. They're quite good on a gravel road or a fire trail, but if you actually try and go 'trailbike' places, you'll find yourself in trouble pretty quick. What they'd go like with a 'little' front wheel, I don't know. It did cross my mind once or twice and I know Doug looked into it, but it never happened.