Trouble with a couple of EFI bikes.

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by dalahare, Oct 7, 2015.

1. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

I'm currently having trouble with a couple of EFI bikes that my old school knowledge hasn't been able to fix yet.

First is a 2010 Hyosung GT250r, it's the girlfriends track bike, last track day it worked perfectly, after sitting still for a better part of a year the battery was dead, I replaced it but now there is no spark at all at either plug.

I've gone through all my usual checks and no joy.The ecu was unplugged whilst replacing the battery and I'm thinking it may be damaged. Can anyone confirm if a faulty ECU could prevent the bike from producing spark? I'm not sure if they are responsible just for fuelling or for ignition as well..

Next on the list is a mates 03 CBR600RR.

It has started refusing to rev beyond a certain point once it warms up, it's an intermittent problem and when it happens the revs that it refuses to surpass can vary, however it is usually around 5K but it can be as high as 9K or so. Switching the ignition off and on seems to cure it temporarily. Any ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I am the last person you should listen to, but with the GT250, have you checked that the coils get 12V and that the kill switch, sidestand switch and whatnot switch (or bridges if omitted) are intact? The CBR issues sounds like perhaps a sensor fault forcing the ECU into some sort of emergency state. You should be able to read the codes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

Yeah, checked al the switches as well as relays, fuses, connections ect, only thing that was disturbed between the bike working and not working is the battery and ECU which is why I am leaning towards that..

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Guess there is a way to measure the ECU as well, at least input and output voltage.

6. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

coils.
    hyodung coils we used to replace regularly.
    i reckon you could grab something at the wreckers for f#$k all and try it?

CBR? ... um .... a voltage issue?
    sounds silly, maybe it's not charging?
    Does it have secondary throttle butterflies?
    without knowing more it could actually be anything? unfortunately. fuel pressure, spark, voltage sensor ect

7. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

Thanks Russ,

From a reading a few things online the CBR may be fuel related, either the pump or pressure regulator.

The Hyosung I find it weird both coils would fail at once through no use, a wrecker has agreed to let me test one of their ECU's on the basis I buy it ($150) if it works so I think i'll be trying that next and hopefully it gets sorted if not then I'll got through coils ect. is there a sensor that picks up when to fire the coils that may have failed?