Spoken navigation for iPhone

Discussion in 'Nerd Stuff' started by Colette, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Colette

Colette Once you go black...

Has anyone used Mapquest or similar apps on their iPhone for spoken turn-by-turn instructions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JNO

JNO New Member

My GPS tells me when to turn. And when to slow down. And which parking space to use. And warns me of dogs. And pedestrians.

It's called a NavWoman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Haven't used the iphone one but the free navigation and mapping on Nokia works well, I use this more than a GPS unit when on the bike. Or for walking around the city even.

5. Colette

Yes, I used to have it on my old Nokia N97 but am surprised there isn't an equivalent on the 4S, especially considering the Siri functionality. :shrug:

6. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

I've got one of them, does all those things but has no sense of direction whatsoever.

Even on our Tom Tom thingy, I turn the sound down and just follow the map. Can't stand the voices telling where to go, I have enough voices in my head already. Google maps is fine for me on the iPhone.

7. Colette

My reason for posting is that I was thinking of putting the phone in a jacket pocket and using the gps through earphones (while on the bike). Shame it doesn't seem possible...

8. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Reception will be no good in pocket. I just put it in a pocket and pull it out to check the map if I need to. The little bar mount bag on both KTMs is perfect though. Like Cal I never need sound I just refer to the map and distance to turn instruction.

9. remedy

remedy Active Member

I've used the Google navigation app on android with the phone under the pillion seat connected to charger and bluetooth into my helmet headset thingy. Works brilliant.

10. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Just don't try to go over the Harbour Bridge

11. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

iOS 6 will have Apple's new mapping software built in. They are moving away from google maps. It will have turn by turn voice nav as standard.