Safe(ish) road riding - suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by faffi, Nov 14, 2014.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

When not tagging along with the offspring, I still do tend to get slightly excited from time to time, against better knowledge. Particularly, I tend to ride too fast around blind corners. Not quite as bad as I used to, but still fast enough to get hurt should the road be blocked by a stranded vehicle.

I currently see two ways to improving my personal safety over that of the Z650; get a lighter, smaller, great handling bike with limited power (since it can be stopped and swerved quicker) - or get a bike with more power and not too brilliant handling and shift my focus from cornering speed to cornering exit.

I believe the latter is probably the potentially safest route, but I'd like to hear opinions. Furthermore, if others have gone through a similar process, I'd like to hear what you did to sort of re-program yourself and find enough enjoyment doing things differently.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

Ride with the knowledge that the universe will provide.....as for bike, meh if you want safety buy a volvo.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

... I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice here... Enjoy it. Be aware that bad things may happen while you're doing it, that long experience and some capability don't provide any special protection. If you do something that would have bit you when you were 17 & bullet proof, it'll still probably bite you when you're 50 and too wise to be bullet proof... and don't give advice on subjects you're clearly not qualified to instruct on... here endeth the lesson.

5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Live by Dunger King's favourite rule: "Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain wasn't three seconds earlier."

6. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

Go to track days to hone your skills and get used to what you and the bike can do. If you do come around a blind corner and it is blocked, your brain needs to instantly decided whether to just brake and stop in time or swerve and try to still make the corner. You'll make the best judgement if your brain is trained to know the limits of both.

And ride a bike with ABS. The current generation ABS is awesome, it is the best road safety tool ever.

On a trackday I am fine without ABS. When I follow some of Australia's best supermoto riders I can brake just as hard as they can. At a trackday when, where and how hard you brake is preplanned. On the road to avoid an accident it isn't planned, the road surface is generally highly variable (gravel patches, oily patches) and you rarely have to do an emergency brake in a straight line. ABS lets you hammer the brakes as hard as you can and still think about swerving a bit. I am amazed how hard I can brake in the wet with the ABS.

7. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

That is excellent advice that is very hard to live by.

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Been out riding two days in a row together with the kid. Due to the chill - 5-10C depending on altitude combined with very strong winds - most of it was ridden at about 60 kph or less. Was fun, very relaxing. At least on narrow, winding roads away from folk and traffic. Quite tiring around towns and cities with their wider, straighter roads. The Z650 and CB400SF are not ideal for this kind of trundling, though; a nimble low-performance single like the Yamaha SR400 would have enhanced the positive experience. Still, we enjoyed the experience despite getting a bit cool at the end of today's 120 km ride.

9. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

You've been using this excuse for a while now. You know the only real way is to program your head, but as an excuse regularly changing bikes, it's not a bad one :up:

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yeah, I know - it's a bit like deciding to stop drinking/smoking/over-eating etc.

11. PiJiL

PiJiL Steve Macqueen Award

:up: