Racebike rear light

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Backmarker, Mar 31, 2013.

1. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

I dunno. I reckon a rider doled up in a bunch of those LED strips would look good and exceed the rear lighting requirement. :err:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PVDA

PVDA Member

A simple bright non flashing LED push bike light should do the job.

I woulda thunk a rain light would need to be more than 3-5 Watts in the old language as that's only tail light brightness compared to 18-21W for Brake & Fog tail lights on cars??

3. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

PVDA, 3-5w in an LED is VERY bright, and more than comparable to a 21w incandescent.. which goes against the 10-15w incandescent requirement they have stated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

Eric rigs himself up, takes off, loses it on the first corner, slides out the track gate, across the road and into the swinging doors of the Blue Oyster bar......... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D078F8342DBC19CEDBFDD0&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

I think the most powerful of my bicycle headlamps (ie the one I use for riding in the hills at night away from any streetlighting) is 3W. It's a bit limited for descending at above 50km/h on a winding road, but you wouldn't stare into it, either...
    The latest Trucklite LED sealed-beam replacements draw 1.8A on low beam, so about 23W, and they are about as bright as a regular 55w tungsten halogen headlight, maybe a bit more.

6. alphamike

alphamike Hi-Speed Gumby

Seems to me the better way to spec it would be in lumens i.e. the actual light output. Who cares what or how it's achieved? Anyway... bright LED with parallel resistor to show enough current drain ;)

7. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

8. PVDA

PVDA Member

I did say 3-5 Watts in old language meaning old fashion incandescent globes.

In my defence the OP didn't mention LED and I didn't read the item linked in the OP ;)

As a person who has been known to bolt LED's to various motorsport emergency vehicles I have to say the quality and brightness of LED's is getting real good, the newer Victorian Ambulances are real impressive with their linked Blue Red pattern.