Playing locksmith

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Mar 23, 2021.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Finished recoding. This will not impress any locksmith, but it worked for me.

I had already verified that the key I wanted to use was the same width or wider than the one I wanted to replace. This meant I could make the saddlebag key work by removing material from the tumbler keys (if that is what they are called), which would be essential since I did not have any spare tumbler keys.

Here you can see the two tumbler keys sticking out when the saddlebag key is inserted:

[​IMG]

Here are the tumbler keys that needed modification by removing material inside the slot in the thicker end:

[​IMG]

In progress of filing the slots larger to fit the key:

[​IMG]

Finished, and working as planned. Now I not only have one key that fits all three locks (both saddlebags and top box), but I also have a spare key – the bike came with just one ignition key and one key for the top box, plus two keys for the saddlebags.

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rjo

rjo Not biting

I've keyed a couple of sets of paniers to the ignition key, and found that I could get 4 out of 5 to work just by shuffling the lock wafers around. So I just left it at 4 wafers, locks only for keeping honest people out anyway.

AnneR and faffi like this.
  4. AnneR

AnneR New Member

100 %
    So my brother made me a secret for the ignition