Overloading the Alternator?

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Sep 29, 2015.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Hi everyone (Well, KD, Faffi and Mikesbites since you guys are the only regular forum users)

I just got back from a trip to Canada visiting in-laws and generally eating too much. We've returned kinda poor, so things like car and bike maintenance have been pushed further back. After a month of sitting, both the Blackbird and the car have flat batteries. Actually the Blackbird's battery has been flat for a while, but I haven't had the coin to get a new one. They were both a few years old now, so it was kind of expected that they'd fail soon.

Sometimes I'd start the bike from the car with a set of jumper leads, but eventually worked out that bump-starting it is actually much easier and quicker :lol:.

This morning, I thought I might try and charge the car battery from the bike while it was idling for a while. I hooked the leads up in parallel and let it go for about 5 minutes. A good way to check that the thermal fans in the bike work (which they did).

Then I perhaps foolishly, decided to try and turn the car over. It stopped the bike dead, and needless to say the car showed no sign of starting. Even stupider, I tried again, and sure enough, the same thing happened. :silly:

Oh well. Katherine really needs the car this week so she offered to pony up for the new battery. I bump-started the bike and rode off to the local Supershit Auto. I noticed that the bike was running a bit rough. Sort of surging and backing off at a constant throttle. I bought the battery, bumped it again to ride home, and noticed the same thing. It still takes off with plenty of power, but it's just not as smooth as she used to be.

So is it possible I have damaged the ignition of the Blackbird by trying to start a car from it? What part is likely to be damaged, and is it easily replaced? Or does a nearly flat battery cause a bike to run rough?

Any help appreciated!

Chris

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

I've used the SV to jump start my car on several occasions..... Is this frowned upon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

It could potentially overload the regulator on the bike, but that wouldn't explain the strange running. Definitely feels like its misfiring or something.

5. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Hi Chris. Welcome home. Never had a blackbird, never even ridden one. If the battery's a bit old and sad, I would change it. If the bike has been run, and then sat for a while, then run again, I would change the plugs. I couldn't exactly give you a good technical explanation of why, but if a set of bike plugs gets used (half an hour will do it) and then the bike gets parked for a while ( 6 weeks ~ 6 months) the plugs may now be very sub standard. If they were pretty new before, then they'll still look new now. That doesn't mean they'll perform like new. Second, I would throw some injector cleaner through it, and go run it through. A fresh batch of petrol might help too. And while you're getting busy working on the infernal combustion cycle, new oil & filter and air filter wouldn't hurt either, and coolant, but they won't be why it's running funny. Change the plugs, and clean the injectors.

Applying a heavy load on the bike's electrics by jump starting a car... I suppose that could have done some harm but I doubt it. Try the other stuff first, and if it still runs like a hairy goat, investigate (Google) flashing or re-flashing the chip. Check with the Honda shop, some cars have a re-set switch or function. I don't know if the 'Bird does, but it may have gathered some data from use and now the data is corrupted or something. I don't think you will have hurt it, but when all the simple things are right... For example, is there a rubber hose anywhere that goes to a vacuum sensor? Because if the bike's sat for a while, the hose may have cracked or split. Have a quick look at all the carb boots too, they can get old and crack...

#4 kneedragon, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

What battery does it take? I have a spare one from a z750 (changed to a lithium battery) which may be better than yours.

7. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

My speculations: If a battery is dead, it can be that it take charge way too easily - or not at all. I don't think the former will matter much, but the latter may cook something in the charging system from what I have learned. Trying to start the car from a weak battery may have warped the plates in the battery and caused an internal short that make charging it difficult or impossible.

8. jonescg

I'll just have to install a new battery into the bike and see how it runs. If it's still running rough then I probably have done something to the ignition system. Car is running good now. Who'd of thunk?

9. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

The 'bird is fuel-injected, yes? Poor battery voltage will display the symptoms you describe, and unless you hooked the jumper leads up incorrectly, you're unlikely to have damaged any of the electronics,

...but more to the point, why haven't you converted it to run on sunshine? :err:

10. jonescg

Yep, I doubt a shagged battery will be helping the ride any. I was amazed at how long the original battery lasted, and how quickly the replacement failed. Then I saw the genuine Honda prices and figured that had something to do with it...

Oh, and it is currently running on stored Arabian sunshine ;) I hope to get Voltron licensed eventually. It will take some doing, but that would make for a fun ride to the shops :twisted:

11. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

They don't call it electrickery for nothing.

It shouldn't be too hard getting Voltron registered, as it'll have no emissions ADR's to comply with, all you'd need is lights, horn and mirrors. Just go all environmentally-friendly on your state government's arse, maybe even get your local member on board; he/she'll do anything for a photo opp.

:up: