Oil viscosity - thicker is not better

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by faffi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

Oil talk ffs

The most cringe conversations are when groups of sport bike riders all talk oil recommendations as if it is actually quantifiable and measurable from your seat. I will watch them argue which oil is better, and of course the one that they use is always the best. Then you get the peeps that change their oil every 2k. They Pay top dollar then throw perfectly good oil away lol (Where's my straw)

Watching grown mean talk oil recommendations is like watching women discuss shampoo's and conditioners!

"No, The Castrol SSXRR 40/90/50 SP Durex 9000 Duplatium oil is the best"

When I can actually be bothered to buy oil as most of my bikes are lucky to even get one oil change in 20k, I just ask for/purchase the cheap low end oil from a brand that is the recommended viscosity. I have done that for all of my bikes. All of my bikes except my R1 and track ZX10r are over 100k .

Oil is Woo

You see without marketing and all that BS there would be one product at various viscosity and it would be called "Oil".

I do not see any peer reviewed scientific papers on the advantages of expensive oils vs cheap in terms of performance and wear though that does not man $150 oil is measurably better than $50 oil. But is it measurably better for you and your bike over its lifetime?

What ever advantage we get from purchasing a top oil is completely wasted on the average rider as most people think 50k is high mileage on a bike and sell it. If there is a lifespan advantage to better oil you will not see the benefit at 50k.

In terms of power, adjust ya chain, lose some weight. I mean if one already has 180bhp do you really need that extra. 0.8bhp that the Castrol SSXRR 40/90/50 SP Durex 9000 Duplatium might give you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 PAPPACLART, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    RUSS M8 likes this.
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Like you, I am not to bothered, although I have noticed clear differences between some oils. For instance, one oil caused drips from my Z400 twin that were eliminated with another brand. Some oils also make the clutch stick more or slip easier when cold, and gear changes can also be affected in ways that are well beyond mere imagination.

But if there are any real world differences in engine life? Hard to tell. But what did surprise me was that thicker oil not only takes longer to warm, but also cause an engine to become warmer than thinner oil. Provided, of course, that the thin oil isn't thin enough to actually break down and allow metal-to-metal contact.

5. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

You say "Thicker is not better" and sound surprised, as if everyone thought Thicker oil was always better?
    I guess those motogp teams running 0 W oil wouldn't' have a clue haha.
    You need an amount of thickness, and no more.
    There ya go :)

6. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

The oil I swear by is: Whatever is at the closest shop and is on sale!:)

PAPPACLART likes this.
  7. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

I like you lol

8. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

That, sir, is the Quote of the Year (so far) ;)

During the summer months the Beemer drinks so much oil I'm forever topping it up. Not so in winter. I can go the whole season without quenching its thirst. Riding style hasn't changed: flat out commuting so lots of hard stops and lots of hard gos. Why's that oh brains trust?

9. Miss Behave

Super Mod

.... just fixing the quote up. Sorry about that.
    BTW, where's the edit option?

faffi likes this.
  10. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

Try now. There is some weirdness with the permissions for Adins/Mods that were carried over from the old VB forum.

11. Miss Behave

Super Mod

Oh WOW! Look at that! I've a yellow banner. Actually, I didn't know I was even a mod, let along a "super" one - LOL. Like kryptonite, you can take it away from me, you know.