Nicola Canepa

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by GrahamB, Apr 17, 2013.

1. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Sneaks a camera out in a ride-day session at Imola, and scares the shit out of some ride day punters on his super-stock Panigale:

[video=youtube_share;qFPmDeqrK88]http://youtu.be/qFPmDeqrK88[/video]

-it flips from side to side very fast in the chicanes
    -the auto-blip system for changing down is impressive
    -it's not exactly what you'd call stable at the front :eek:
    -he seems to have a few problems hitting the apexes in the faster corners.

PS on second thought it can't be his SStk bike, the R isn't eligible... but it's obviously not a full SBK either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 GrahamB, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

As far as I can see, he laps around 1:53. Here is Roberts, cruising around on some old TZ, missing gears and lines and shifting points and whatnot, doing around 2:23. Sure, 30 seconds is a lot, but considering the difference in circumstances, there is no doubt that the old man can still ride. Missed shift and all :lol:

[video=youtube;t4S7wmxpQIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4S7wmxpQIU[/video]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

I was 30 secs off Aus SBK times on my SV650 at Qld Raceway.....thats in the slow intermediate group. 30 seconds is an eternity!

edit..Just adding...Fuck I wish I could ride like that! The way he charges into corners and nails it right out to the ripple strip is amazing!
    Interesting to note that the amount of counter steering needed is miniscule when compared to the general bar wobbles going on. Its amazing what a difference having the front weighted makes to the effects of steering inputs :eek:

#3 Davo, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

Well said Davo... 30 seconds is like a different sport!

6. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

I like it :)

I didn't pay much attention to the times, but if it is 1:53 or whatever faffi said, then it is hardly messing about. That's have to be close to proper SSTK times, wouldn't it?

7. JNO

JNO New Member

That wobbly master cylinder got my attention (clunking about as it rubbed on the fairing). Hardly confidence-inspriring, it would have freaked me out.

No doubt the bastid wasn't bothered - if it fell off he'd deal with it. Until then....banzai!

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

My point was more that it looks a lot more than 30 seconds.

9. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Probably going 25s faster it would have been all cool (except for the closing speeds on other bikes). It's the last few seconds of your capability (wherever it is) when things start to look frantic.
    I'm sure Roberts could also have pushed a lot harder if it had mattered to him in some way :)

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I would think Roberts could have turned a 2:10 within 20-30 laps. Not too shabby for a bloke more than 60 y.o. on a bike from cirka 1980.

11. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

That assumption based on... gut feel :shrug:

In any case, f*%k me does that Duc like to shake it's head !! :eek: