New pushy on the way

Discussion in 'The Boozer' started by Felix, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

I was thinking to do that, but I have to wait for the tools to arrive anyway...so thought might as well just buy the kit for $20. The bike was sitting out in the weather for 5 years or so, and the forks are well rusted, so I'm not thinking the bearings will be great. Wasted the morning with bike shops not having it, so ordered from somewhere else. While I was doing that, I missed the delivery of my M5 :mad:

My thoughts on bike shops haven't changed. They are either basic family friendly places, or tend to be elitist. Hard to find a place that just carries a bunch of stock for whatever you may have, or doesn't sneer and say, no, we don't carry THAT. No worries, my money goes elsewhere.

It is a bit weird though, Shimano is an Osaka company...and I'm in Osaka, and the shops are in Osaka...but no one carries spares, and uniformly tell me it will take a week to get in. Yet I can order it from Tokyo or where-ever and get it next day :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm ranting. Need to try dropping forks out and get busy with the wire brush.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mikesbytes likes this.
  2. Felix

Forks came out, but, far out nothing is ever straightforward. Decided probably best to unscrew the brakes, first one came out OK, second one, it was actually the mounting post that unscrewed with the whole thing o_O

I ended up not dismantling the cartridges, due to lack of tools, and point. The stanchions are past it. I used a screw driver to scrape the rust off and that actually improved things so that should give you an idea of how bad it is. Cleaned it all up a bit, reassembled, added some grease here and there, and it is basically functional.

So now I need to decide on whether to replace the fork with a cheap shock, mid range or solid. High end is basically out as they all seem to be for disc brakes now. Too much money too. This gives a decent idea of what I can get easily.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Felix

Time for another update...

Bearing kit is unavailable currently...gah! But my cone spanners did turn up. I pulled the axle and had a look. 11 bearings in one side, 9 in the other. Oh. Supposed to be 11/11. Races are scored, and I think the real problem was that it was originally over-tightened. And missing 2 ball bearings.

Re-greased, put it back together (10 bearings per side) and tightened appropriately. Spins smoothly, no play. Basically a win.

Really having troubles to find a fork the right size, they've all changed to 27.5/29" and disc brake now, need them or not. I think at this point I'm just gonna ride it until I leave here and chuck/give it away.

So I'll stop boring you all with it now :p

4. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

How bad is the condition of the existing forks?

5. Felix

Have a look here https://imgur.com/a/NtnBKYb

Stanchions are bad, but I did get some #100 Emery type paper to clean the rust up a little more. I mean they are working now, but the rust definitely adds stiction. Can't move preload dial, lock out does actually work.

It is now riding pretty nice. Will grab a new seat tomorrow, maybe deal with the stanchions and then see how it goes. A bit hesitant to pull them apart as getting replacements with a similar axle to crown length AND v brakes is a hard ask apparently.

Like I said, it rides pretty nice now, even missing bearings...

6. mikesbytes

Uck. But as long as it works OK I guess.

How long do you have left in Japan?

7. Felix

Maybe 6-7 months. I haven't decided if it is worth bringing it back. It is amazingly good on the road, but my only reference for a mountain bike is a very old steel framed Norco from Target, or my alu framed Slazenger from Big W.

Needless to say, I'm sold on proper bikes now. Mind you I was also way unfit before. Marginally better now. :)

8. mikesbytes

At a guess it probably boils down to how much you love the bike rather than its $ value.

When you leave Japan, where will you end up?

9. Felix

If I go back to Oz, Melbourne. But anything is possible...