New pushy on the way

Discussion in 'The Boozer' started by Felix, Sep 24, 2015.

1. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

The new toy is taking shape.

Are the front bearings in a cup and cone configuration or a sealed configuration? I'm thinking you might be able to remove them, clean them and put them back with new grease

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

I don't know at the moment. When I get back up there, I'll pull the wheel and have a look. Got some moly grease just in case. Probably grease them up temporarily, then replace once I know what to order.

Incidently, "bike" tools, especially if they have one of the big bike tool brand names are as expensive as frig. I bought a beautifully made, super robust cable cutter for $20, where as they are $50-60 from one of the names...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mikesbytes likes this.
  3. Felix

Here we go, here's a pic from its maiden run (under my custodianship at least). I really hope imgur alters file size, if not my apologies. Still haven't found a simple way of resizing images.

General impression is it's actually quite a good bike. It has Alvio groupset, but I don't think anyone has ever cleaned it. I have given it a cheats wash with some CRC 5-56. Does actually look a fair bit better. Gears change ok, but hesitant. Will get a bag of rags and can of parts cleaner. Bound to get ugly. Hopefully that will improve response a bit.

https://m.imgur.com/wQ2BuVI

#43 Felix, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  4. mikesbytes

Looks great Felix and a fab place to ride. Where to you live? Do you have to travel far to get to a nice place like that?

5. Felix

I'm still in Osaka. That place is about 25-30 km away. Real mountain territory up there. Bears, wild pigs, deer and monkeys to keep things interesting.

I meant to add I replaced the grips with a set of moulded bull horns, got an adjustable bottle cage so I can store bottles from vending machines - even on this mountain road you don't go much more than a couple of k's between vending machines - and bought some Korg lights. Don't know much about them, seems fairly new to market. I'll resize some photos later and post them up.

#45 Felix, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. mikesbytes

Great to have such nice roads to ride so close to home. Did you ride there and back as well? In Sydney sometimes I've caught a train so to do the ride in the countryside

I visited Osaka in 1990, at the time my brother lived in Nagoya. Didn't have the time to visit nice countryside like that, just the tourist stuff such as Kyoto

7. Felix

The bike was sitting at my friends house, so I trained it up, but rode back home after the trip into the mountain.

Here's a gallery I've been putting all my MTB stuff into: https://imgur.com/a/ZM49k3N

You can see some of the damage done by the recent super typhoon. I predict within 2-3 years you will hear of massive landslides in central Japan - all of this is plantation timber and is basically all that is holding everything together.

Nagoya is pretty nice, easy access to Nagano for skiing, and a pretty chill place really. My contract is up in April, and I'm not looking for any more jobs in Japan, kinda over it.

mikesbytes likes this.
  8. Felix

Ok, so maybe you have a better idea than me, what kind of hub is this? They are Shimano, but I haven't done any more looking than that.

https://imgur.com/nk4nLcQ

Bearings are pretty crusty. Rides ok still, but will need to be fixed.

Only thing I did today was replace the pedals with the old ones I took off the Bianchi when I put the clipless on.

9. mikesbytes

Sorry mate, I've got no idea what hub that is. Can you make out any writing on it, I might be able to find out more

10. Felix

Can only say it is Shimano. Others guess it is a cup and cone.

I'm keen to ride to work tomorrow, about 20km, so will wait until after that to pull it apart. Annoying actually cause even the local DIY shop has all kinds of cartridge bearings...mind you I think there is an actual bearing factory just up the road :) Just across the river is all industrial.

It's been a bit of fun actually. I quite enjoy the learning experience. Haven't had to throw too much money on tools either. It does help that buying quality Japanese tools is a relatively inexpensive exercise here!