My life just got even Duller

Discussion in 'Old Dungers' started by faffi, Sep 20, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

On Tuesday, I rode pillion with my brother on the back of his Guzzi California (I have a super-long report that I will spare you from unless there is a massive outcry for it to be posted) in order to pick up a well-used dark green metallic Honda NT650 Deauville he had bought somewhere north of the fjord.

Although I've never ridden a Dullville, I have sat on one about 15 years ago. And I remember it as a perfect fit. Everything just fell into place; pegs, bars, seat. It was like it had been molded around my body.

The same sensation hit when I jumped onto my brother's new acquisition; it just fit. Although the handlebars felt a bit lower than I remember, with a slight forward cant of the torso, it still felt ideal.

The 650 twin has absolutely no bite, no life, it just gains revs evenly from 1000 rpm to redline. Very similar to the CB400SF sitting in my shed. You cannot make it any less exciting if you tried. Also, it is so muffled that above 60 kph all you hear is some wind rushing past. In sum, it was a very pleasant and relaxing ride, despite the heavy winds and heavy rain.

To cut things semi-short, I did the only sensible thing and bought my own Dullville yesterday. It sits even further north, so I have only seen it on pictures, and will pick it up sometime next week. So now the world has the fearsome Dullville brothers to deal with. Be very unafraid :oops:

Pics of the bike. Agreed price NOK 30,000. https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=124920764

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

Looks ok...

I mean, dull...but dull is interesting too. I'm sure you'll just hate it if it is reliable, fuss free riding, dependably getting you around without dramas.

Speaking of which, if I return to Oz, high on my shopping list is an older Volvo. Unsexy, unwanted, but usually one owner, full logbooks, blah blah. Sounds terrible...o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. Will work great as a commuter and backroad tourer. For fun, I have a tuned TR1 planned :)

But even the Dullville can boogie

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

6. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

I'm going to sleep just reading about it,

...but congrats on the new wheels anyway, faffster.

faffi likes this.
  7. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

I'm sorry for you Faffi! haha

I actually like the Bros 650, same engine as the Dulville. Was never sold officially in the UK but many imports came in, and they were popular with couriers. Also the NTV650 (same engine again) was popular too.

8. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Looks like a nice bike to ride but definitely not a mid life crisis purchase :)

PAPPACLART and faffi like this.
  9. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

LOL @mikesbytes

It is relaxed comfort in a practical package that will allow me to extend the season, basically. You will not be able to comprehend how lazy the engine is until you try it!

Some Bros (company) in USA managed to double the horsepower from the NT650 Hawk/Bros - IIRC they went from 39 to 85 at the rear wheel. It also vibrated painfully. But looking around today, you will spend 3-4k USD to gain 10 hp from a big bore kit, new cams and a porting job. Not worth it.