MotoGP Round 2, Texas

Discussion in 'MotoGP' started by Gypsy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Lorenza said that when he arrived on the grid, the red lights were not on, when they normally are and he went when the red lights switched on.

I'm wondering if there was an error in part by race direction?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Might be. Several other riders said later they were a bit confused and stressed, partly by the odd routine with the lights, partly by Lorenzo going early, but nobody else got it wrong.

As historic injustices in motorsport go, I would rate excluding Ricciardo from the results because his fuel measuring thing was slightly faulty, as a much bigger and worse example than anything Lorenzo endured at circuit of the Americas. He made a BIG mistake, which nobody else did. He didn't need anybody to tell him to pit and do a ride-through, he knew he had to... He is saying he was distracted and citing bugs on the visor and shit ... he knows he got it wrong.

The other thing I found a bit surprising about that start, they showed a replay mid race, and Rossi dumped the clutch and had the rear spin up, which held and kept spinning for a second. I know he was on the dirty line and all, but I would have thought too much power / drive to that tyre and the bike would flip. Danni Pedrosa did a practice start once, where I think his clutch malfunctioned or something, and it went over backwards like a Kenworth had hit the back of it at 160k. I was very surprised the wheel spun up. I thought there'd be a LOT more grip than that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #32 kneedragon, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Since several had issues and some didn't, it sounds almost like Bridgerock didn't have control over the tyre quality, that it wasn't uniform :shrug:

4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

No, they aren't. Rules say they will be turned on after the guy with the red flag leaves the front of the grid, then go out between 2 & 5 secs after.

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

10155864_10203549405516132_3685166763348136633_n.jpg

6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

So Lorenza was just giving himself a partial excuse for F'ing the start. I was surprised he didn't stay out for 3 laps and coming in before seeing his lap board had a small risk too, what if race direction was slow in awarding the drive thru and he did the drive thru before he got awarded the penalty?

Rossi got a bad start, perhaps the reason he spun the rear tyre was that he got distracted by Lorenza, had let the clutch go but had to hold it to prevent a jump start.

The race for the final podium slot seemed to fall into 2 camps, those that hit it hard early, such as Rossi who destroyed their tyres and those that preserved their tyres early, such as Dovi. Though the reason that Dovi took it easy at first was because he was recovering from the flu.

And there's comments about the 2014 suspension targeting 2014 tyres and not being suitable for 2013 tyres. Though the problem was with the front (ignoring Crutchlow). Was the front a 2013 or 2014 tyre?

7. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

that's nasty. particularly on an anticlockwise track

8. Greens

Greens New Member

Jeez Marquez is going to be hard to beat this year, shame about Lorenzo, not much of a race when he's not there. Good to see Dovi on the podium too.

I remember reading in Stoner's book about tyres & tyre manufacturers. Pretty much saying those guys can make or break your season if they deal you a few bad sets.

Farq I miss watching Moto 2 & 3. Think I might have to bite the bullet and subscribe to moto GP.....

9. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Stoner went a long way to say that Michelin decided to let Hayden take the title in 2006 by giving Rossi crap tyres, saying he'd (Stoner himself) having received crap tyres on race day a number of times after he became too fast for the Honda factory team. Looking at the number of riders having tested without issues over the weekend only to suffer massively on race day, it seems that there was a batch of dud tyres on the menu. Question is if it was by accident or deliberate.

With a good start and a front tyre that could stand the distance, I reckon Rossi could at least have stayed with Pedders, although he would have been no match for Marc.

10. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

Damn!! Between that and PI, wow, some tyre issues going on lately with these sickles....god luvvem... ;)

Faff= meh, you gotta do your apprenticeship! ;D