MotoGP Round 2, Texas

Discussion in 'MotoGP' started by Gypsy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

Yeah, he's pretty crazy. Dunno if it is physically possible to ride around a corner keith code style. Loser :lol:

just a small jump from lorenzo :lol: not that it would have mattered - marquez and then pedrosa really strung it out at the front :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Funny how most everyone else's seemed okay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shanes

shanes New Member

seams a lot of front tire problems , Bradl , Ianonne , Redding , Rossi apart from that a great race happy for Dovi he deserved that , Marquez was simply awesome

Good effort from Westy for 7th and big props to Miller very very good ride

4. spinz

spinz Spinning the wheel

The best thing I liked about the weekend gone was watching Fp2 and listening to Ben Spies commentary. I'd listen to it again. Was so full of praises for Casey Stoner.

5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Miller's ride was a cracker alright, no one was going to beat him today. Hope he can keep it up for the next 12 rounds.

6. gids

gids Slow Rider

Lorenzo's jump start must've been close to "race fixing" ;)

Marquez was awesome, should win atleast 12 GP's this year I reckon, Westy was good in Moto 2 & Jack was rockin in Moto 3...

7. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

It wasn't the station, it was my DVR and it got sorted and recorded, woohoo. I shall peruse tonight.

Oh my Lindz, f-bombing the last free to air Oz station to put our little minority interest sport on the telly and supporting your old mate Carmello in the same breath...well I never.... :D

8. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

I did get up and get to watch the MotoGP (Foxtel I think, Speed Ch anyway) but they didn't show the other classes. I watched Jack win on the live timing screen...

Marky-Mark, pretty much unbeatable. If he gets beat, it was by something he did himself, not something another rider brings. Had a nasty front end moment entering the final corner on the final lap, very nearly threw it all away. That's what's going to beat him, not the other riders and teams...

Rossi & tyres. As I understand it, which isn't all that well, they were on last year's tyre at this race, but this year's suspension doesn't really like it. Early in the weekend they got a setup that allowed them to go fairly quick, but only for 2 or 3 laps, then the tyre falls apart. By Saturday night, they'd worked out a setup that seemed to work for 14 ~ 15 laps or so, and was fairly quick, and that was what they took to the race, and crossed fingers. It wasn't enough. Mid-race, the front tyres just started eating themselves. Rossi's sudden drop in form and speed was perhaps the most noticeable one, but several other riders had the same problem. The team spin is that Rossi's getting old and cunning, and when the front goes away, so do your times, or the bike gets tired and lays down...

Possibly related, possibly not, Marky-Mark had a huge front-end moment entering the last corner of the race, and in parc-ferme his front tyre looked more ripped up than his back...

#28 kneedragon, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

I think it was only the medium compound rear that was a 2013 tyre: the hard option was the new 2014 tyre, but only MM used it.
    Otoh, I don't know if the fronts have changed since last year.

My understanding was that everyone was worried about the rears, but the fronts were the big problem for Rossi, Bradl, Pol Espargaro and others. Crutchlow dropped down the order even faster than Rossi, but he pulled in to change the rear. Dovi reckons he was at the front at the end because he had the flu... so he took it easy and so didn't cook his tyres. Might have been the case for Lorenzo, his fastest lap was much slower than Rossi's, possibly because he was pissed off, but it might have helped him go fast-ish until the end.

Marquez nearly crashed in the last corner which is a left, most people were complaining about the right...

10. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Ah, that makes a little more sense. Thanks Graham. I had been left scratching my head why they were going back to the 2013 tyres. If their sums told them the new Med comp rear would fall apart at Circ de Solae (TX), so they only took some old ones, everything else up to date, that makes a lot more sense. I got the whole 'old tyres' thing from hearing Rossi bitch about it during practice, so it's quite possible I don't have the full or correct story. And yeah, that last corner is a left... I dunno. He did wisecrack about it afterwards, said the race had been a bit dull so he decided to make it all a little more exciting for his team and mechanics and so on, sorry to any fans he upset... ... it wasn't a spectacular save in the way that history's Great Saves are, but I don't remember ever getting that close to throwing a bike away, and then staying on it. He was gone for all money, but somehow didn't actually fall off.

#30 kneedragon, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014