KTM to stop motor supply in 2015

Discussion in 'Moto2 & Moto3' started by Backmarker, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

KTM have said they're stopping sale of motors to Kalex (or anyone else), for the simple reason that they do it a s a loss, in conforming to the 12000€ price cap.

They will sell bikes though, as the frame development price isn't equally capped, so they say they can absorb the price that way.

Interesting, it says to me that the 12 000€ price cap doesn't work, a competitive motor can't be built for that, so they are all effectively "cheating" .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Would a rev limit make them cheaper? I suppose letting a single sing to 17,000 or whatever (I do not have a clue how far they rev) would place high demands on everything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

They are limited to 14k rpm, and it will drop to 13,500 in the near future I think.

It's simply stupid rule making: fix the price of the motor, but don't oblige it to be sold without extras:
    "Sure, the motor is 12k €, but we won't sell it to yo unless you also buy this special spanner."
    "How much is the spanner?"
    "50k €."

Dorna technical people must be either incredibly stupid, or corrupt.

Ah, here you go :)

http://blog.ktm.com/moto3-vs-mx2-just-dirt-bike-engines-in-a-grand-prix-chassis/

#3 GrahamB, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. Gypsy

Gypsy Past fast rider

Both

6. junkmale

junkmale Flagging member

:stupid:

7. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Not just them who're corrupt, Dorna stinks from the top down.