KC laser and other stories...

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by anttisexual, Jul 20, 2003.

1. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

On the weekend I was doing a for serivicing chores on the superfast racing laser so I asked the old man when he last checked the valve clearences. "Umm..., they're hydraulic tappets, aren't they?" was his reply. So it turns out they haven't been checked in 200000 km. Had a squiz and they were all down to 8 thou, from the specified 12 thou. I think this is a pretty amazing testament to how reliable "modern" engines are. You assemble it and check the valves 15 years and 200000km later and they are basically sitting 4 thou (1/10 of a mm) away from where they originally were :) I also replaced the timing belt, other fluids and all manner of other things that have probably never been touched. Oh yeah, and the gearbox. Bloody broke the diff case on a 4WDriving adventure last week.

On a similar vein (related to all things superfast), I had all the suspension bearings and things out of the TRX the other week. Everything seemed to be in good order (including steering head bearings), which is another testament to the reliability of things. I mean, I've used the vehicle fairly agressively (wheelies, dirt, mud, jumps) and I'm *cough* generously proportioned. I was sure the poor little thing would have thrown all it's legs in the air by now.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

Yeah,a guy I worked with`s bro-in law(shall we say,not mechanically minded),his Camry stopped at 120,000......without an oil change.Thats a long way without fresh oil.Impressive from the motor,and impressive for the oil to do its job for (nearly) that long!

Ducati dont make the heads on Lasers do they?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pah68

pah68 aka Paul

Nope...Antti said Two Hundred Thousand, not Two Thousand. :p

5. woodsie

woodsie Militant Bigot

Well if the way my Old ford telstar is going anti you should go for quite a while yet. That Laser has to be good for 500 thou easy.the telstar has done 440 thousand and still going strong.Its testament to regular preventave maintenance.Id be happy to drive it to sydney or melbourne or just about anywhere tomorrow.