Jonesy's Shed

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Sep 16, 2018.

1. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

All good to hear, Chris, glad things are going smoothly for you. The Ioniq looks a tidy thing. Congrats.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Well this virus means that the new Ioniq will be another month away. Which means I've been putting more km on the Blackbird than I'd hoped. Not that it cares - 120,500 km now and runs as good as the day I bought it. Sure the chain and sprockets are the next things to be swapped over (they make a terrible racket right now). However, the first part to fail on the Bird has finally come around. The indicator switch block on the left handlebar has jammed and they no longer work. Not a big deal in Perth, no bastard uses them anyway, but the replacement block was $100 and I can fit it tonight.

But the Prelude is fully licensed and driving around, and I've started working on a patio for the front of my house. Partly because I need a shelter to protect the inverter and home storage battery, and also cause it's a nice place to sit and watch the birds. Even welded up the ledger board in the shed and bolted it up on the wall. Backmarker would be pleased to see my welding has improved since I first dared to show a picture :)

20200413_162924.jpg

All the other parts are being delivered today so I have a long weekend in isolation to make a good start on it.

Speaking of isolation, Kat has been asked to stay home for work, and it's doing her head in. She's really struggling with anxiety and not sleeping at all. It's pretty hard on both of us, but especially her. Meanwhile I'm expected to keep turning up to my bullshit job all the same. Pays the mortgage I guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

For me, staying and working from home is perfect - I consider it a bonus not to have to go to work. More efficient as well. But I understand I am not the norm on this issue (either) :oops:

4. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Glad to see you're putting your time to good use, Chris, and I hope your good lady makes it through these troubling times okay. Once things settle down a bit and normality returns...

5. jonescg

Thanks Lindsay. That's the problem - nothing is normal, and won't be close to normal for a while. Most psychologists are booked up because everyone is struggling right now. We really just need a holiday. But we can't go anywhere, and nothing is open anyway...
    At least I have a few welding projects :)

6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Being unemployed has given me time to do projects such as give the shed a major reorg, built a bunch of shelves using brackets from bunnings and timber I had lying around and now you can actually walk thru my shed, it was a disaster before :)

Only problem encountered was that the shit I threw out is lying around as my council has cancelled pickups :(

7. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

How is the social network/welfare in Oz for unemployed? Do you receive full salary, reduced salary or no no salary during unemployement?

8. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Some of the unemployed are on job seeker which is the unemployment benefit. It's a bit complicated in the way it figures out how much money you get, worked out at AU$360 a week for me. And there's a special product out for the shutdown called job keeper. For job keeper your employer who has stood you down with the intention of taking you back pays you a flat AU$1,500 per fortnight, which they then claim back from the Govt. You can't have both.

What about Norway?

9. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

It depends on whether you have had a job recently or not, but whether you have lost your job or are temporarily laid off, the support is the same; you get 60% of your normal salary, but limited to maximum NOK 400,000 / AUD 60,000 annually. If you have kids under 18, you get a little more. So even if you earned millions, you will not get paid more than the 400K/year. If you are still out of a job after 2 years, you are transferred to welfare, which means even less money.

10. jonescg

They bumped the dole up from the criminally low levels ($400 a fortnight) to about $800 a fortnight. Which goes to show how unlivable it was. Remains to be seen if they leave it there or pair it back.
    JobKeeper is an ATO Robodebt disaster waiting to happen...