Jonesy's New Electric Bike thread

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rjo

rjo Not biting

I intended to put this up earlier, but there is a good article in today's West Australian on the Voltron.

2. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Cool. Anyone got a link or scan?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

West 2014 Dec 17.jpg
    Not sure how Mike is an "Innovative Rider" but hey :lol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. smythie

Super Mod

awesome

5. jonescg

Hey all,

I'm starting to take some measurements for a new swingarm. I measured up a 2010 GSXR1000 swingarm in the car park and it looks like it's about 255 mm from inside to inside. I really need to find one and check. There's about 220 mm between the insides of the frame at the pivot. The 525 chain can be swapped out for 520 chain giving us more clearance, while the chain run can be moved across to the left (out) about 9 mm. I don't think we'll have any problems fitting the new swingarm and wheel in, just a matter of getting the dimensions right. Randy has offered to do this from the USA, but I suspect being able to line everything up would be a big advantage. Even if he just copied the dimensions of the 900SS swingarm, only widening the arms to accommodate the bigger wheel. The inside of the rear sprocket is currently already 110 mm from the centre of the rim, which is pretty close to most 5.5" wheels, but I suspect the 6" wheel is going to be a smidge bigger at the centre.

Swing arm and motor assembly.jpg

Anyone got a fairly late model GSXR1000 rear they can measure up for me?

6. jonescg

The American eRoadRacing series has had a rule change - the rule limiting the maximum voltage to 500 V has been lifted back to 700 V. This means Voltron is eligible to race in their series!

Now, it's far-off and fanciful, but how hard is it to ship a bike to the USA and race it? Add to that the complication of a massive lithium battery...

It would be nice to show up with a shed-built bike and blow a Brammo RR away :D

7. smythie

Super Mod

lmao! It'd probably be cheaper to build a battery over there than ship or fly it over

8. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Maybe. Factor in food and accommodation and incidental...

Cost is one facet of the problem, a symptom. Air transport companies got a long and painful reminder about new age battery packs recently, from Boeing. They know the damn things are hazardous to transport by air. The degree of difficulty in flying it around is not about to fade anytime soon.

... I wonder how Formula 1 teams get around this... I know they do their own transport, but I wonder what steps they take to ensure everything's safe... Those things are more big capacitors than Li ion batteries, but the same principles would apply. Even if one of those has not gone up in smoke while airborn, they do malfunction with some regularity on the circuit.

9. smythie

Super Mod

The trick is to ensure the battery doesn't discharge. If you have the terminals isolated, unable to have anything drawing current from them, they're as safe as a deflated tyre packed on a crate

10. jonescg

Try and tell that to a pilot... I think you're right - building one over there would be the easiest way.