Jonesy's New Electric Bike thread

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Pottz

Pottz New Member

Hey Smythie, Thanks for the pics, they are great! Is there anywhere we can purchase the high res ones?

#961 Pottz, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Hey Pottz, Email me at smythtony at hotmail dot com which ones you want and I'll get them to you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Anyone got some advice on after market (i.e. not expensive OEM) clip-ons?

The stock clip-ons I have on Voltron were somehow bent, and while this is not a huge issue, I wouldn't mind finding a slightly more beefy set. It's the kind of thing that floods the pages of ebay and the like, but as to which one is better I have no idea. I'm really just seeking some past experience.

Any tips or recommendations?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Woodcraft

5. jonescg

:up: Thanks Gra! $217 Aussie dollars for a set. Bargain!

6. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

I didn't reply to the season summary yet, but in short, well done !
    I know I come across as an argumentative old c*nt, but overall I'm a big fan of the project, the ground up development of an bike is huge, and while it isn't there yet, the potential is big, and it's down to the minor tuning, I think you have a really sound concept. From an engineering aspect, electric bikes are much more interesting, the advancements so fast and the chance to start with a blank paper :up:

I'm actually beating your drum a little over this side of the world, and talking to another lekkie bike racer guy about your machine, pushing him to go the same direction.

Oh, and yeah, woodcraft (y)

7. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Agree with BM. Not sure if I said so yet, but well done.

Staying outa the clipon talk, because I don't know. I did bend one, but a fellow competitor lent me one of his spares, but that was just the aluminium tube. What brand the clips were / are, I couldn't tell you.

#967 kneedragon, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. jonescg

Thanks Eric! I do really appreciate your input and observations, even if the delivery is unique :)

The potential for an awesome electric bike stands in contrast to the current asymptote of development in ICE bikes. I can't see them getting much better or faster in the next 5 years, while an all electric powertrain will probably overtake in all aspects except range. Even Voltron is future-proof in terms of battery development. I can simply upgrade to the next best chemistry by dropping a new pack in.

If I can get sponsorship to build a battery using some high energy cell, I'll start a crowd-funded campaign to get Voltron to the IOM. Since that's what everyone talks about when electric bikes are in discussion. Current 9 kWh pack would give us a lap I reckon, but not a particularly fast one.

I keep pushing people over here to build a fast e-moto, but they all seem to think they will have one ready by next year :lol: If they start now with an unlimited budget they might get there. But basically we're going to keep entering Voltron in the eFXC as long as it's good value (three races a day, same entry fees) and hope that someone gets the shits with us winning al the time and builds a faster one :D

9. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Honestly, why not push to race the bike with ICs ? That's probabaly how you'll get the biggest interest, going head to head with the real competition. Racing against a small group of other e-bikes with big disparody means people will keep saying they are a novelty. Going head to head with the ICs will give you more credibility IMO.

10. jonescg

True, but probably not in the AFX-SBK series. With the performance disparity we have at present, Voltron would probably go out with supersport, and the other guys with the 250s and 300s. They will blitz them down the straight and get tied up in the corners. Also, we're only good for 5 laps of Sydney or QR, but the petrol bikes do 10 laps.

At a club level, we're pretty much good to go - We're free to run in Clubman 1000 as long as there's no race re-starts, as we have just enough to do 8 laps of Wanneroo. The lap times would be pretty close to the median for the class.