Jonesy's New Electric Bike thread

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

We fully charged it before taking it to the Dyno. 230 hp at the rear wheel.

Two hundred and thirty fucking horses. No wonder we're lacking grip on the rear!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Stick it a box and send it to europe !!

My boys at Darvill racing are doing OK, 3rd in the championship.

11855815_10152879588906618_7098825188377980129_n.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

... 230 rwhp... I can see why it gets along a bit....:up: I don't know that I ever sat around and tried to figure out how much it made, but I didn't think it had that much.

4. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

I think Pottz summed it up best at the end of the second one :lol:

5. jonescg

Well that was a tough round.

The fourth round of the eFXC class at Wakefield Park started with Pottz arriving on the Thursday and sleeping in his swag by the side of the road. The next morning the Varley guys showed up with their bike and Voltron, as they had kindly agreed to store it and carry it to the track for us. It was a cold but dry day's practice.

I arrived into Sydney International Airport after a month in Canada visiting the inlaws and generally being broke. I scored a lift up to the track where Pottz was putting in some 1:12s but needed to find a few more seconds as Jason was doing some 1:10s. It was tough because we were on the same Bridgestone rear which is crap in cold weather, and the same Metzler front which had done 3 rounds already. Luckily we could stay with Tony in Canberra for the weekend, so no more roadside camping :D

Saturday was wet. Cold and wet. Shagged slicks and cold wet weather makes for some slow racing, especially when you are the first bikes to head out in the morning. There was enough dry track to make it worth while. Ripperton had his 3 year old wets on, and this gave him the confidence to get out in front and stay there. Pottz managed to steal second place from Jason at the last turn, while David on the Zero made fourth.

Race two was pretty wet also, and as always, it was the last race of the day when all the warmth of the track had been re-radiated into space. It was a slower affair, with Potts even changing places with David on his Zero. He pulled off a safe, points-collecting third place. Ripperton and Jason had a drag race to the line, with Jason pipping him by a mere 0.007 seconds!

Sunday's race three was shaping up to be a much better affair, with bright sunshine and light winds. Our tyres were still shagged, but the track was getting warmer. On lap one, Pottz was sliding everywhere up the hill and out of the fish-hook. He dived up the inside of Jason on the last turn and gently fed the throttle. Zip. Lowside. Luckily rider and bike were OK, but the right footpeg was damaged. He collected 18 points by virtue of the small field.

Jason's dad and I pulled the bent rear brake lever off and straightened it out, while the Masri clam donated a new peg. It's funny how you work as fast as you can, despite the fact that race four was at least 6 hours away :lol:

We called Mike and told him the bad news. The reason we're rolling around on shagged rubber is cause we have pretty much run out of money, and Mike was our last hope. Thankfully he handed over some card details and we could put fresh rubber on the beast. Another set of Metzlers from Craig White meant we had a good chance on a now warm and dry track.
    First lap:
    [video=youtube;zfL7yDnvICA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfL7yDnvICA[/video]

Jason was on fire. He can ride a bit, and he knows this track like clockwork. He and Pottz took off at pace, but the now reliable Varley machine kept pulling a gap. On his second lap Pottz put in a PB of 1:09, but Jason was already into the 1:07s. Pretty impressive for the field given a few years ago we were setting 1:19s.

So we look forward to Winton with some pretty good rubber installed. I think it will be another mixed bag because Winton is a tight track, but there are enough straights to give us a bit of a power advantage. With Jason on a reliable Varley bike it will be an exciting next couple of rounds :up:

6. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Well done Chris. Congratulations to you and all the others involved.

7. ohmygewd

ohmygewd >Insert Here

Jonesy...where are we at in the electric bike world!!!
    Since the forum came back online, a lot has happened in this world and wanting to know where are we at with battery technology as atm, this seems to be the limiting factor?
    Will be interesting how Lyndon Proskitt goes on the Alta at Erzberg this year.

8. jonescg

Wow, so much has happened since I posted in this thread :D
    We ended up winning the 2014 eFXC and again in 2015. In 2016 we would have won it pretty comprehensively, however several issues popped up. Our rider, Tim Boujos broke his foot in Supermoto race so we had to swap riders to Thyron Van Vuuren (Taz). This clearly set us back on points. Also, we decided not to attend round three to save money (and because it would have been another two bike parade anyway). However, the FX series promoters did everything they could to not return Ripperton's already-paid entry fee, so they let him circulate with the pro-twins and collect 25 points for every race completed! Brad still found a way to crash in the fourth race, so they got 75 free points and we changed riders two rounds in.

And we still came within a few points of winning :)

Taz put in an epic ride at Queensland raceway, where we were allowed to compete with the Pro-Twins. They started us at the back of the grid and we would do 4 race laps and pull in. Made for some amazing footage:

Race 1:

Race 2:

Unfortuinately the final round in 2016 had us back in our own class, making for a rather boring two bike assembly:

We haven't raced it since - waiting to get Barbagallo raceway back. We can't race with other gas bikes because MA changed the rules, so back to trackdays for us.

Internationally, the IoM TT Zero bikes have stepped up again this year. Mugen's Shinden Go bike topped the charts with Rutter posting a 121 mph lap, and the University of Nottingham's machine (With Daley Mathison piloting) came second with a 119 mph lap! I'll claim a sliver of their success with the battery architecture they used being replicated from Voltron's battery. I'm in regular contact with one of their engineering PhDs, so we share lots of knowledge.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/record-breaking-rutter-wins-tt-zero/

I'm determined to build another bike, but a little more road-worthy than the race bike. Mainly so I can actually use it more, rather than being limited to the racetrack.

9. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Thanks for posting, it was really interesting to see how the motors worked differently to the twins. I've raced push bikes on Eastern Creek and had pondered what it would be like on a motorbike. Seeing the onboard video was just that bit more interesting when you have familiarity with the raceway. I'm a little surprised as to how close the 2 ebikes are

10. jonescg

Ripperton's bike is quicker in the corners because he's easily about 20 kg lighter than us, but we have a good 100 hp more than him, so on anything but the tightest of circuits we usually come out in front.

Oh, and Taz was actually just messing around at Eastern Creek - he could have gone much faster; it was just a pointless exercise when nobody was watching.