Jonesy's New Electric Bike thread

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

LOL. Congrats. 4 wins from 4 starts and now they're scratching their heads about how to make it go faster. Yep, they're racers.

Observations about brakes and setup, that does tie in very well with what I (think I) see on video. We're talking about this in relation to MotoGP right now. Honda seems to have gone a little long & low to stop wheelies and help braking, and now the fukkers don't turn and wash out at the front. I think there's no right answer, but some are slightly more wrong than others...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

Well done Chris...just plain awesome effort.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

Congrats to you and the team, hope you can find a balance to the thing .....................

4. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

do you have eccentric adjustment in the headset?
    if not is that an option?

5. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

It would be the best option which didn't involve cutting the frame. Do you know of any kits Russ?

We'll have to see how the lower CoG battery goes - it might mean we can pull the triple back to the top of the forks. As I said, the bike was made with a 23 degree rake originally, so with the weight in the right spot we might get back to the original setting.

6. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

awesome stuff Jonesey!

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

i don't know of an off the shelf kit, but i would have thought there would be a decent engineer around Perff who could knock something up for you.
    I know a guy in sydney who could do that all in house, not sure about other states.
    Assuming, there is physical space around your current steering head bearings to fit an eccentric carrier.

8. jonescg

My mate Ted Dillard is writing a book on the history of electric motorcycles. It's probably the right time to do it, just before the big players start to come out with some of their own creations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952491968/power-in-flux-the-history-of-electric-motorcycles

He needs to raise enough money to cover publishing costs, paying photographers, research, and to take 6 months off to write it. It's pretty cool - Australian electric bikes, and racing gets it's own chapter!

Anyway, I reckon it will be a real gem - he's a great writer and it will be full of fascinating stories and nuggets of knowledge.

Please chip in if you can - it's going to be the first major book documenting the development and progress of electric motorbikes, and should be a real collectors item in years to come!

9. jonescg

[video=youtube;NvEmzEkkTyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvEmzEkkTyY[/video]
    [video=youtube;rh-4DpBhdlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh-4DpBhdlw[/video]

Just for Russ M8 :D

10. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

... :rolleyes: