Jonesy's New Electric Bike thread

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Hi All,

We as the name of the thread suggests, I will be starting work on the next electric bike. This thread can also be a place to discuss the merits or otherwise of my decisions on how it will be built.

I have learned a lot from the construction of Voltron; perhaps the objective now is to plan the kind of bike I want right from the start rather than change plans mid-way and end up with a bike that disappoints on all levels.

My starting point is the chassis. A modern, race replica chassis will be a good place to start. I will be looking for a litre sports bike as a foundation for the build, but who knows, maybe a 600 frame will suit?

Steel or alloy, doesn't matter as long as the weight is as low as practical. Carbon fibre rims are another way of keeping the weight down too.

I will be sticking with A123s 20 Ah prismatic cells. A stack of 113 cells in series will give me about 415 volts fully charged, and 373 V nominal. Total capacity is therefore ~7.5 kWh depending on whether it is fully charged or not. I will need to check for any rule changes, but at least if it's all in series, it's easy to take a few cells out from the top.

I planned on using the EMRAX motors, as they are the same size and weight as Agnis, but are brushless and put out more power. It is a liquid cooled motor and controller, so the bike needs provision for this. However being an outrunner it's not a convenient motor to grapple with.

Dual motors means dual controllers. Sevcon and Piktronik make high voltage AC motor controllers, but they are rather bulky. EMRAX tells me they are currently testing several controllers, and are even working on their own, so I might end up being a beta tester for them. I especially like this feature:
    http://www.enstroj.si/images/stories/emrax_motors_zzz.jpg

As always, I am always up for advice and tips from the MCNews community. If you think my idea is dumb, I can count on you to tell me so. I promise I won't get upset ;)

And as Dunger King once said, "and fer chrissakes, do not tell me something cannot be done unless you can show me the carnage caused by trying!"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 jonescg, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

Good luck mate...I'm excited :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Did you see your pics up in the news today?

5. jonescg

Nice! Andrew was feeling the side of the polycarbonate tail piese, and asked me "What on earth did you cut this with Chris?"

"A pair of side-cutters."

:D

6. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

As always, sitting back with the popcorn but willing to help in any way we can......... give it shit young man........

7. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

Manheim fowles WA have a KTM RC8 1190 and a ducati 1098 at the moment. :)

Though buying a track bike already set up for the racing and selling off the IC bits would be a better way to go maybe?

8. Fenris

Fenris Orangutanasaurus

The RC8 was meant to have a very light chassis. The central frame was something like 8kg if I remember right... internet says it's chrome molybdenum steel and less than 16.5 lbs. I was close :)

9. jonescg

I'm worried the Duc might be a bit narrow across the bow for the battery pack. Not that it's that wide, but it will sit a bit tall. As long as it's feasible to slide a 850 mm deep, 270 x 180 mm pack in there it could work. The Mavizen is based on the KTM frame, and they managed to do a pretty good job, even with two Agnis hanging out the sides...

10. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

yeah, i'd stick with a jap frame if you want width... although Duc's are steel, so in theory easier to modify/hack/weld ect to make your lecky shit fit...

11. jonescg

Some ideas for the battery cartridge. I was thinking of using that poly acetal stuff. Looks a bit like the stuff cutting boards are made out of, but a lot stronger. I dread to think what Nylon would cost in this stuff...

[​IMG]

The cells are opposite stacked so you have tabs going out either side. This way when you clamp it down you have about 15 mm to work with instead of 7.5 mm

[​IMG]

All of this was inspired by Daniel's pack, except he used smaller format LiPo cells:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/ripperton_2008/Electric R1/DSC00069-1.jpg

#10 jonescg, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    PAPPACLART likes this.