It really hurts

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by faffi, Jan 27, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

As long as we are talking gear - since 2006, I have mostly ridden in my Castrol-Kawasaki racing jacket and black leather pants. The jacket was used on my Kawasakis my Suzuki, my Triumphs, my Hondas and my Yamahas. I also have a Castrol-Honda vented racing leather jacket that I have never used when riding a Honda, but Triumph, Yamaha and Kawasaki (it has never been hot enough when I've had Hondas). Since 2004 up until last Fall (literally...) I have used AGV Rossi Replica race helmets. Now I wear a cheap AGV plastic helmet while I search for a perfect replacement for my head.

On my daily commute I wear insulated Goretex BullFighter pants with a patch on the knee from a spill in 2011, and a Spyke Goretex insulated jacket repaired with silicone from the same spill. I also wear Alpinestar touring leather boots with Goretex. In addition, I have a pair of IXS racing boots and TCX "touring-off-road-boots" with Goretex. I have a myriad of gloves and mittens, but commute in an old and torn pair of Hestra winter insulated waterproof gloves that no longer keep the water out for very long, but since the commute is only 3.5 km, long enough. I have a new Rev'IT Goretex two-piece suit with light grey pants and charcoal jacket of different models because they still connect with a zipper and they were on offer.

Currently, I own two Hondas and two Yamahas; one four, two twins and one single.

Verdict?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

I WISH!!! They were loose fitting in 1981. I took them back to Walden Miller's one year when I was passing through SA on the way to PI and got them to take them out on the sides and insert more cow.

Those pants in 1981:

DucatiSD900_zps3dc362a4.jpg

And this is what they look like now. You can see the extra cow in the sides, which goes to about 3" each side at the waistband:

IMG_2444.JPG

Leather DOES stretch!

Hey Faff, these are TCX boots - are they the same as yours?[/QUOTE]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

You know what they say; you used to be young and beautiful, not you're just beautiful ;)

My boots looks a little different, but are prolly related. The model name is TCX X-Desert Gore-Tex.

The IXS boots are called Victory, BTW, and I wonder why not more make boots like these, where the slider goes in under the foot - I always grind away the outside sole of my boots, meaning the typical slider gives no protection. Yes, sloppy riding style, I know. But it's too late to learn how to ride properly now :oops:

4. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

I don't quite see what' so bad Faff?
    I watched this the day it was released, because I enjoy the entertainment.
    All the work is safe, and the bike should ride quite ok the way he has done it.
    Obviously the paint job ect is not done in a spray booth and he is a self taught mechanic not a pro, but he got the job done.

That effort is 37282% better than every single bike that gets dropped to my workshop that has been worked on by its owner

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

We just have to agree to differ on this one, then ;) But it was probably done on purpose in order to make a show that some (enough) people for whatever reason enjoy to watch. The work methods displayed just does not make any sense to me, but if a lot of what you get in the doors of your shop is worse than this, I do not envy you!

6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

The bulk of the work is a styling exercise, which is what the business is about.

In Sydney there's a lot of that kinda bike being used for city riding

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

Which bits bother you Faff?

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Painting the stanchions and headlamp holders without proper prep. Not replacing the fork oil. Not removing the engine for paint - and a proper clean first. Spraying the frame on bare metal. Spraying the muffler directly onto the chrome without prep. As a minimum flushing the brakes, but at that age they ideally should have been stripped and rebuilt together with a new hose. Cleaning out the rear brake. And let's hope the PO replaced the tubes when fitting new tyres - I've had a rotten tube blow off its whole valve stem once on a bike where the tube must have stayed on through a number of tyre changes. Such and old bike should also have the swing arm bearings inspected for wear and given some grease along with the head races. Basically, safety first and preferably also go for a finish that will hold up through a slight rain shower.

Other things are just weird, like removing the instruments and fitting new ones after fitting a new headlamp, or replacing oil and filter after painting the engine, or not removing the fork legs for proper cleaning and paint while also quickly removing the headlamp holders.

There are some good bits also, though, like fitting a new ignition lock, new inlet manifold, making sure the carb is clean and hopefully jetted for the open air filter, fixing bits of the wiring harness, making the frame loop that appears to fit the seat well, using good paint on the tank (but why no primer?).

9. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

Ah, OK, yes i see what you mean.

But you are living in a fantasy land.

No one does that stuff, well, except you and me sometimes.

You are correct, with doing things the "correct" way, but labor rates are so high in Australia every workshop job is just the bare essentials. I don't remember the last time someone paid to get fork oil changed or swingarm / linkage bearings or bushes regreased. Just keep riding until it breaks then fix it.

And, modern (lets call 1990's onwards modern) Japanese bikes are so so so so well built if you just change the oil they will keep going basically forever.
    Remember, over here we don't get the harsh weather, so no rust and not so much deterioration. So, clean the carb and change the oil and go ride it.

I just built a "new" 1997 GSXR race bike, and I took it back to a bare frame and rebuilt it from there. And, I did all the labor except custom exhaust welding and paint myself. And I got the parts cheap.

The bike is mechanically stock with better brakes/suspension/lots of lightness added and its' cost me about $14,000 AUD.

If i had to sell it tomorrow I could get $4,000 - 6,000 AUD.

So, its very expensive to do it properly.

Also, most people don't have the patience. It's modern society. Instant gratification.

The reality is, that bike was built for a bit of fun. He will probably do 1000 km per year just getting some milk and break from the shops ect. Only on sunny days. So, the way it was done it will be fine. It will run fine. If it was good quality paint you would be surprised, might last a good few years the way they did it.

faffi likes this.
  10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

This is more like it