How far do you go?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GrahamB, Jul 26, 2013.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I mostly just throw on my Kawa leather jacket, which contain shoulder, elbow/forearm and back protector, and my leather pants with some not so superior knee protectors and hip protectors. Should I put on my full-length back protector also? Of course, that would be preferable. But it's comfier without and it's one thing less to remove when I stop. Instead, I promise not to crash :err:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Actually the guy in the shop made a good point: a separate braces & belt type back protector is more comfortable, since it moves with your body rather than the jacket.
    I thought he was nobly arguing against selling me the small protector, but in fact he hadn't realised I already owned a long one :lol:

Just for fun, I looked up the Crutchlow replica Spidi suit... it's specified as weighing 4.6kg, so as much or more than my somewhat agricultural TA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

Aaah, true..once...before the cane harvester accident.... :lol:

Nothing wrong with the old TA's Gra. ;)

Do you not condition them? Anal Darrens weight a tonne, haha.

My back protector- http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/pro-sub-4-back-protector/2339

It's quite bulky but I like it. My old $99 UFO jobbie saved my bacon out the Ox when I went back-first into a cutting, crushed the can of shaving cream I had in my backpack. Not sure how that would have went if I had not been wearing the protector.

http://www.mcas.com.au/motorcycle-clothing-road-armour/ufo-road-race-46cm-back-protector

#13 darren, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Wear whatever is comfortable, and don't break Rule #1, you won't need all that armour and air-bag shit, then. :up:

5. darren

Super Mod

Wotif old matey coming towards you doesn't look up from the book he is reading, or spills his cereal?

6. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

My stratgey has mostly been to wear whatever I can fit into. Fitting into off the shelf clothing is one of the real joys of now being only modestly overweight instead of super-hyper-mega-morbidly obese. Some off the shelf stuff is too short still...

On a related point. I've been accosted in the past for not wearing what some consider to be an acceptable level of protective clothing when riding a motorbike. Funnily enough I now regularly ride through suburban traffic for several hours to ascend and then descend twisty roads at great speed dressed only in a simple layer of lycra. And this is deemed perfectly acceptable by just basically everybody.... well from a safety point of view, anyway. weird...

7. darren

Super Mod

Yep. Bike cops riding around in short sleeve shirts etc. Risk perception in hyoomans is a strange beast.

8. kimo

kimo Confused little pixie

dont forget that in addition to the lycra, you are wearing a relatvely flimsy loosely fitted helmet and some fingerless gloves ;)

9. darren

Super Mod

Are we still talking pushies?

10. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

Yeah, pushies, carpet burn, and other activities of dubious moral standing....

Hey, anyone see Peter Sagan showing off during the tour? Lays on nice wheelies, often 1 handed. What impressed the heck of of me was the no-handed wheelies. Google up peter sagan + wheelie and there's a ripper no-hander up a hill. Now that is cool :up: