Hard to relax

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by faffi, Mar 21, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Don't know about you, but I have always tensed up while I ride; death grip and high shoulders. Trying to relax only works for the few seconds I manage to think about it.

This winter, since I am riding every day, I have practiced relaxation a lot. And I have improved; my hands are now just laying there on the grips and my shoulders are lower. But I still notice that my elbows tighten a little as soon as I lose focus on keeping them slack, and with the elbows the shoulders come up a bit. So I need to continue the drill until it is second nature. It seems like it will take more than 6 months to unlearn 40 year old bad habits, though.

What about you - do you find it easy to stay relaxed at all times while riding?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

When I ride fast on unknown twisty roads, I am especially tense too. If I ride long enough my neck and shoulders really start to hurt.

Doing track days has helped for sure. It will be interesting how I am when on my upcoming trip.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

I had a tense hand/wrist/arm today just riding to work... Not sure why as it wasn't particularly stressful

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Thanks for the comments. I do not even have to be stressed, it's just been the unfortunate way I've been riding. But sure, anxiety/concentration brings the tension up a notch or five.

6. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Try not to think about it too much, just look where I want to go and everything seems to fall into place. As soon as I try and think about what I'm doing and concentrate, it all goes to shit.

As PiJiL said, about a little slidey moment I had over some bumps through a corner I'd gone into too hot, "You just didn't react fast enough to fuck it up."

Think less, ride more.

kneedragon and faffi like this.
  7. Gypsy

Gypsy Past fast rider

Over my last 4 or so years of riding I was very relaxed, too relaxed actually.

I put that down to Valium, Endone, Pethidine and a cocktail of other crap.

kneedragon likes this.
  8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Ouch :eek::confused:

9. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Hey Ross! Hope your health and joints are working better than ever!