Got a sportbike that wants the best rubber?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Aug 12, 2013.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

One man's meat, n' all that.

I have the S20's on the SM and love 'em; easy to steer, have more than enough grip for my needs, and ride softer than the Dunlop Q2's I had before. Daz has chewed up a set on das Toecutter, and he seemed pretty happy with 'em.

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Bike setup, overall weight, rider preferences - it all matters. I wouldn't take test results as gospel, but they could give an idea of where to start if one have no previous experience.

6. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

I'm quite interested in the Power 3s, been trolling around on EweToob looking for comment and review. Not as much up there as I'd hoped, and while it's all positive, I'm not quite sure how much weight to give it. From (let's say) ten clips up there, about 7 or 8 (from watching their video, and from looking at wear patterns when they show them) don't ride as hard as I do ( ... er, as hard as I DID) and the others, not sure how to take them, not sure whether to listen or not. Only real consensus, they're a bit stiffer than the Pures used to be, they warm up very fast, and they're damn good in the wet... which all sounds just like the Powers when they first arrived.

7. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

I'm still yet to discover how road tyres become better that year 2001 model pilot sports. Grip like crazy and even last for a long time :shrug: But reading the press it's a bit like reading reviews on sportsbikes - always huge steps forward.... apparently

8. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Yeah, apparently they're always better. Strangely, comparing lap-times over 3 years of tests by the same mag at the same track, with some of the same bikes, there was very little difference. Except that this year they used Seb Gimbert as a guest tester, so the best lap times went down by 5-6s.

I'm sure ultimate grip on the race tyres is improving, just looking at lean angles.
    Probably illustrates a point you've made: for most people, the bike is not the limiting factor.

9. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, they do lean a bit more now, but even back in 1985 55 degrees was relatively common, now you see M&M get to 62 sometimes, but mostly they are at 58-59. And if you consider the progress in tyres, power, suspension, electronics and brakes, you'd expect more lap time reductions. Well, I would.

Personally, I have a feeling that the better peak performance you request, the narrower the operating window gets. Not just for tyres, but if you want lots of top end power, the powerband narrows. If you want to become a marathon runner, you will not be as quick over shorter distances. Etc. So for someone like me, who is slow and careful and live in a chilly country, tyres that perform great on a warm day under a fast and aggressive rider may be sliding uselessly for me since they will never get up to temp. Just as the tyres that work for me would quickly overheat and slide around for the fast dude.

10. anttisexual

My point wasn't so much that riders are slow or whatever (even if almost all are), more that tyres were awesome a decade ago and it seems strange to that any sports tyre would be found wanting now. Those pilot sports I mentioned even gripped well in the wet, which boggled me at the time. The macadam 90 and 100 sports-touring jobbies were not that great in outright grip and I can see the progress to pilot road and pr2, but pilot sports, pilot power, have all fallen into an equal level of awesomeness to me. But then it's all relative. I pretty easily ride off the end of grip levels on sports tyres on the track. They start moving around pretty easily and there's a bit big gap to slicks. And new slicks, in that 1st 5 or 10 laps, oh mama :lol:

#9 anttisexual, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  11. anttisexual

re: the lap time improvements with better stuff - yeah it has struck as odd the relative lack of progress for sportsbikes around tracks for 20 years. You'd think the improvement is covered by tyres alone, and perhaps it is. But then, at the limits, lap time improvements are hard to come by. I've swapped old slippery tyres for brand new slicks and felt the *HUGE* improvement - driving hard off turns, feeling 10% faster. Look at the stop watch and it's a second at best :lol: So it's interesting... and frustrating. Still, as graham implied with a 6 second a lap improvement by changing riders, that is where you find big differences. Want to go 6 seconds a lap faster, ride harder. Or get a better rider, which is hard if you already have valentino rossi on your team :lol: