Emergency tyre removal kit

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Dec 28, 2014.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Interesting idea.
    I'm not 100% convinced, because I'm not seeing what stops the whole thing going sideways just as you put all your weight on the bastard.

What is interesting is that it works the other way around to normal bead breakers, with the rim against the vertical, not the tyre. This I think is a good idea, as that is the biggest problem for me, having the tyre shoot out of the bead breaker if the angle /height isn't set right.

But the bigger question, who is the market ? Adventure tourers ? Dirt bikes I've never had any issue with, and road bikes, well if a plug is too much then I'm not going to do better with a patch (and I don't carry tubes). So who is it aimed at ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Backmarker, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

There is a "catch" on the outside of the tyre to prevent the wheel from slipping. I guess it is aimed at the adventure rider who will load his bike with every survival kit known to man :lol: And many of these ride on tube type wheels and will carry both patches and spare tubes. Personally, I think I can use it to make my own bead breaker to keep in the garage that doesn't take much room when storing.

5. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

hmmm... Like BM said, "Interesting idea." In principal, I'm interested, but a little sceptical. I don't want to carry 20kg of tyre iron or a 15 piece tool that weighs the same, to do the same job, but be simpler and more compact and easier to use... My share of the Sydney Harbour bridge hasn't been paying that much recently...

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Doesn't look all that heavy, does it?

7. kneedragon

... ah, look at that....

8. PiJiL

PiJiL Steve Macqueen Award

Bikes get sick when you take them off-road.

[​IMG]

This happened at 60ks on a dirt road after hitting a pot hole, lucky I noticed before the next corner and luckier still I didn't need to break the bead, those tools are handy, I packed these

[​IMG]

When we got to the next town I got HD tubes fitted

9. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Hi Pete,
    You still got that bike ? Does/did it do all you wanted it to do (if I remember match a Euro AT bike in performance, but be reliable) ?

10. kneedragon

Oh, lookit that, it's a yeti...

Now, I have about 7 pages of mildly humorous dribble that I'm not going to just junk ... where am I going to stick it? ....

G'day PiJiL, hows it swinging?

#9 kneedragon, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  11. kneedragon

... on second thoughts, perhaps I won't post it.