Cycling - Bikes etc etc

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by trek52, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Tarmac, if you are going to use SPD pedals, make sure that the shoes you buy are 2 bolt compatible, 3 bolt is for road pedals. Some shoes are both 2 bolt and 3 bolt.

Carnac shoes are fine. Shimanos are good too and are avaiable from a lots of places, such as cell bikes or cycling express. I train in Shimanos and race in Sidi's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strika

strika Track Junkie

Trek, I bought a computer today, so don't. Spend time looking for an old one in the shed.

I Did 25 klms this evening. The rear $2.00 LED tail light worked well. Just got to sort a headlight.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tarmac

tarmac New Member

I just bought a road bike so need to get some shoes and pedals to fit that. I found a shop called pushys who seem to be fairly cheap but if the bike arrives today, I ay be pulling the pedals of the mountainbike just so I can have a roll.
    Whats the difference between the sidis and the shimanos?

(This roady stuff is a different world.....)

4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

They have a slightly different fit, reputedly. I have a bunch of different Sidis, some Specialized and some cheap Shimano mtb shoes that I use for commuting. They all seem to fit about the same, really. The upmarket Sidi Ergo 2's are really nice, stiff in the sole, good fit on the whole foot, tensioning system works well and they're reasonably light... but they cost a bucket-load and they might not be as good on your foot if it is a different shape.

5. mikesbytes

Yeh I've got the Ergo 2's, worth the $$$ if you are racing.

For those embarking on buying their first push bike shoes, what to look for is a good fit to your foot, ie its comfortable and it doesn't move around under load. Stiff soles, as this is integral to power transmission. Generally the plastic soled shoes provide almost the performance of the carbon soled shoes when they are new, but their performance will deteriorate with age, where the carbon ones will maintain their performance. However if its your first pair of shoes, then don't spend too much, like anything you don't really know what you want until you already have one. If the base of the shoe is silver, then its fiberglass, which is in-between plastic and carbon, even if it claims to be carbon, that's a marketing trick, they put carbon dust in the plastic.

Now if your just riding to the shops and back then performance isn't a biggie, just buy some spd pedals and mountain bike shoes that you can walk around in.

You were saying that the pro3race weren't that good. I've brought a stash of them when they were on special, haven't used them yet. Should I have stuck to GP4000s chilli's? Also noticed that they now have pro4race.

6. trek52

trek52 The dark side....Triumph

pro3race are fine :)

Strika I will mail the stuff on Monday I have a front light and mtb pedals

7. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Nah, I love them. I just wish they were as puncture & cut resistant as the PR2's, but they're still pretty good (on French roads, anyway).

8. mikesbytes

LOL, even truck tyres ain't good enough for Sydney roads. I get the impression from another kiwi/aussie living in France that the practice of throwing beer bottles out of car windows isn't a common in France, also less windscreen glass

9. tarmac

tarmac New Member

Good info, thanks guys. Not going to be spending too much. I'll get some k's on the bike and see how things work. Have to get the bike set up for me first.

10. strika

strika Track Junkie

Wicked, thanks!!! :D I didn't ride the roadie today, but I did drag out the MTB and took the dog for a run on some fire trails. She is sleeping well!!!:D:D