Cycling - Bikes etc etc

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by trek52, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

I had the same problem and fixed it by using a piece of old tube between the tube and the end of the protectors

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. trek52

trek52 The dark side....Triumph

I really like the gatorskins to train on, I find them to have plenty of grip and I dont ride in the rain. Some of the silica tyres have more grip but feck me i have never crashed from lack of grip in the dry on any tyre unless there is some other circumstance like oil, and one thing I back my self at is getting a pushie around a corner pretty quick.
    I also like the bontrager AC tyres, bit more or a race tyre but they are quick, grippy and dont puncture much.

I have weird views on punctures, I am known in the bunch as someone that just doesnt get flats. With my fat arse I should get heaps, I honestly put it down to the fact that I hardly ever pump my tyres up, I prob ride at 70 -90 psi most of the time, not 120 like most people.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Ackshually, biggest improvement in puncture rate I ever had was buying a track pump with a pressure gauge. Turns out I never used to use high enough pressures... more like 70psi. It seemed that going higher helps spit things out the side rather trapping them and getting a puncture... dunno really, but it helped.

So yeah, if you've just bought a bike, get a decent stay-at-home type pump (called a track pump). They're pretty cheap, one of mine is all plastic and works fine, you don't need the CNC-machined and anodised 7075 with titanium shaft and leather handles variety...

4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

That would be a tube protector protector? :D

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

In fact they are really good for that. I have seriously pushed the front on them several times and not fallen down. On PR3's I wouldn't have been sliding at that speed, but they seem to have a narrower margin between gripping and falling down. I never have fallen while using PR3's either, so who knows...
    The real limit for cornering on a road bike seems to be staying relaxed. If I tense up at all (riding alongside someone through a corner for eg), things get kinda ragged.

Did have fun last week when some wally on a CB1300 jammed it up the inside of me on a downhill corner, so I just stayed on his shoulder all the way around the outside :)

6. strika

strika Track Junkie

Sorry, I thought someone had commented that the Gatorskins were spinning in the wet going up a hill? My bad. So, Gatorskins or the Schwalbes Antti mentioned are about the best from what you guys are saying yeah?

7. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Yeah, but it was a 12% hill... and I did get up it :)

8. strika

strika Track Junkie

Sorry GB, I wasn't trying to be facetious. I genuinely couldn't remember who commented nor which tyre. I have been in a painkiller induced haze the last few days. :) :)

9. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

The gatorskins gripped fine in the dry, it was in the wet that I had problems

10. tarmac

tarmac New Member

Thanks for that I'm looking now. Interesting that they don't do shimano shoes. I though t everybody did.