Commuting Tyre - Pilot Road 3?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mikedufty, May 24, 2013.

1. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

PR2. It went on the week they released it. So far, so good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mikedufty

mikedufty New Member

Didn't notice any noise from my PR3 on the way home. Bike seems to steer nicer, not game to push the cornering grip yet, but seemed OK in a straight line. As a bonus I got to ride around on the Hyosung 250 loan bike and it may have cured me of thinking I'd like a nice sensible bike. Struggling to keep ahead of a Pajero out of the lights was not my idea of fun.

3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I have PR3s on my MT, but I am no fan. They give me no feedback, and in that respect feels like any Bridgestone I've ever used, and they are harsh as hell. I run 28/30 PSI and they are still feeling hard. After 11k km the rear has about 50% life again, the front is even less worn, so they wear amazingly well. Not going to fit this model again, it will either be PR4 or Metzeler Roadtec 01. YMMV.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

All tyres feel the same to me other than how "pointy" they feel. The sportier ones obviously turning faster than the more rounded profiles of less sporty tyres. They are all awesome when new, but I am normally replacing bald squared off tyres so that is a no brainer.

I have been through pretty much most modern tyres from all brands and always just settle for Sports Touring tyres unless on track. The PR3's are raved about in the magazines so if you don't like them not sure what to suggest.

The tyre pressures you run seem softer than what might normally be recommended so are you sure that your issue is not suspension related?

G'Man likes this.
  5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

I have the PR4's on mine, ATM, not a huge fan. Rear has done about 6 - 7,000kms and needs replacing, the front is showing about 25% wear and could last another 10,000kms. It won't get the chance. No problems with them on the smooth stuff, other than they don't steer as nicely as the Bridgestones and don't feel as planted, especially over bumps. No thanks.

Will most likely go back to an S20/21Fr, 023/T30Rr combination. 5-6,000kms and a lot more faith in them.

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

It could of course be suspension related, but I run a Nitron shock and DDC valves in the fork. Everybody have complained about the MT07 being overly soft in stock form, but I found it to be harsh. It is much better now, but still firmer than I prefer. But then again, I do not want to be rattled at all when riding :rolleyes: With the tyres run at the recommended pressure of 34/38, the ride is punishing and the feel is horrible. Even with the pressures I run now, the tyres don't even get luke warm, even on extended rides. And yes, I have tried different gauges.

The tyres do grip well, though, with no chicken strip left at the rear and just a narrow rim on the front, with no issues. It's just that this plonker cannot read what's going on between road and tyre, which does my confidence in a bit. Not that it matter much at my moderate pace.

7. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Comes down to personal preference, in the end, I guess.

I find the soft front (S20) and the harder rear(T30) gives me all the grip I need and very precise steering, with an acceptable wear rate. I have run 016's, Z5's, Q2's and S20's as pairs and they're great, but replacing tyres every 2-3,000kms gets a bit tiresome, especially on a 4-5,000km round trip like the MotoGP run.

Also tried replacing two rears to one front, with the soft tyres, but end up with a bald front before the second rear is worn out, and so on, and so on.

faffi likes this.
  8. darren

darren :)
    Super Mod

Love my Dunlop Sportsmart 2's. hammer them all the way to the island and back, no probs, heaps of grip, nice and talkative, luvvem.

9. G'Man

G'Man New Member

A good all round tyre in my books.:). Be it commuting,wet or dry...
    Sunday afternoon WA desensitisation rides at 60kph..*cough or when we had a track here the PR3 was more than adequate doing 69's around Barba-no more-gallos on a 24 year old Duke.
    A common denominator with a lot of handling issues can be down to simple suspension tweaks, a plus or minus with the pressures by a lb or two can transform a three legged camel into at least one with two. :rolleyes:
    Take the bike bias F+R, add a lump of mass centrally (insert rider) and then it all changes.
    Dont forget to spit on the valve tit... ;)

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I guess it's also down to skill (or lack of, in my case) and confidence. If you are convinced the tyres will stick, they typically do. When I was young and less aware of my own fragileness, I used to have this kind of confidence myself.