Bought a new used bike today

Discussion in 'Old Dungers' started by faffi, Oct 29, 2020.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

(You can rouhgly divide NOK by 9 to get the price in USD)

I needed new rear wheel bearings from my CBF1000. They were of common size, so two bearings plus dust seal kost NOK 237. The single bearing in the sprocket carrier plus dust seal cost a friggin NOK 743! Just because they were an odd size. No wonder people go to China etc instead of buying genuine when they decide to induldge in such profits.

I also bought a stock key, wich was NOK 547 plus NOK 125 for cutting it, then another NOK 759 to program it. I could have bought a key and chip from China and made my own programming harness, all for maybe NOK 400 including cutting the key. But I wanted an original key, and I didn't want to take the small risk of messing up the CPU on the bike.

In addition, I bought new Michelin tires for a total of NOK 2500 on sale.

Finally, I bought color coded paint and filler to fix the paint damage on the luggage bits, NOK 1302 in total. Add half a litre of brake fluid for NOK 70.

In other words, I have already spent around USD 1000 without raising the value of the bike significantly if I were to sell it today. That is probably my problem; I buy stuff that needs seeing to, fix them, then sell them in close to perfect nick. How stupid is that :(Anyway, I have no plans of selling the CBF anytime soon, and I also like my bikes to be safe and well performing when I have them. In that respect, monetary wise it would make more sense to buy 2-3 year old bikes that have barely been run in. Unfortunately, I am not the sensible type, it would seem :confused::p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

So, over the weekend I got a lot done to my CBF:

1. Fitted new Osram Nightbreaker bulbs supposed to give 150% more light and much longer range
    2. Fitted new Osram sidelight (parking light) bulbs just because I was in there already and the old ones were probably the original from 2007
    3. Fixed the mounts for the cat eye fitted to the top trunk
    4. Fitted the Givi crash bars (why on earth did Honda make the holes in the frame a mm too small in diameter to retract the nut and bolt from the lower engine mount?)
    5. Replaced LHS upper from engine mount bolt, that turned out to be bent after a spill by a PO, with a cylinder head bolt from an old Opel
    6. Moved the power take-off for the temp gauge from the coil to the instrument light positive wire, and included a quick-connector while at it
    7. Sanded down, primed and painted my Arai helmet
    8. Sanded the clear on the Honda by Givi top box to get rid of lots of minor scuffs and painted it with 2K clear
    9. Filled, sanded, primed, painted and cleared the Honda by Givi saddlebags that was badly messed up after several tip-overs by a PO
    10. Sanded, primed damage with spray-on-filler, partly painted and fully cleared the LHS fairing panel that, you guessed it, a PO scratched in a tip-over
    11. "Welded" the cracked front fender with a soldering iron and used PL200 to bond it on the inside and also used the PL200 as a filler - will touch-up in a day or two
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Just a few more words on the Honda lower rear engine mount. There are holes in the frame where you can see the nut (on the RHS) and the bolt head (obviously LHS), but not only are the holes too small to fit a tool through, they do not allow removal of bolt or nut. Well, not quite through; you can knock the bolt out just enough to drop the nut and washer, but then what? Unless you want to remove the swingarm and center stand in order to get the whole frame section unbolted, you need to file the hole bigger. I used my Dremel for this. But why not make the holes a millimeter larger and fix the issue from the factory? Beats me.

[​IMG]

4. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Cos they can sell you the Honda special tool?

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

No tool will work, and even if it did, you cannot withdraw the bolt without removing the frame member or filing the hole larger.

6. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Been snowing again has it, mate?

:p

7. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Actually been decent this week, 4-8F during the day and dry. Rode 150 km on Wednesday.
    [​IMG]

8. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Ye gods, that top-box. :eek:

9. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Looking great. Is the top box a different colour or is it just the photo?

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

It has probably been the same colour at one stage, but was faded. Did not look too bad indoors, but outside it was horrible. So when I got home I immediately painted it the same way I painted the front fender, LHS fairing and saddlebags, to make it match as well.

[​IMG]