Reviews BMW F 700 GS Review | BMW’s friendliest GS?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle News' started by PAPPACLART, Dec 6, 2017.

1. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I actually considered buying a new one at the beginning of the year - they had some great deals including hard bags. It is probably the bike I should have owned, considering my preferences, but I do have a hard time buying non-Japanese. Hence I ended up with a Yamaha, the brand at the opposite end to BMW when it comes to reliability issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

I think both the 700 and 800 GS's are far better choices for road and off-road vs the GS1200 which everyone seems to gravitate too. Smaller versions are way more manageable and have more than enough poke to handle luggage etc. Try picking up a fully loaded 1200 in a ditch when your feet are submerged in mud.

Personally though I would go for a Japanese equivalent but if you must have a BMW for big distance over road and dirt then the smaller GS's are the way to go IMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

My cousin, who rides quite a bit off road and dirt on his KTM 950 Super Enduro as well as his KTM EXC510, tested the latest and greatest BMW 1200 Adventure. The BMW representative dialed in every electronic gadget and told my cousin to just go and attack - the bike was so clever, it would save the day. not afraid of using the loud handle, my cousin went at it. And was almost spat off immediately over a terrain that he claimed the SE would have gone over without a worry at a greater pace. Like the 1200 he tested back in 2012, he declared the GS overweight shait useless for real off road work and hence of no interest to him.

On the adventure rally I participated at, it seemed like half the bikes there were various edition of 1200 GS. They looked massively porky. Although probably not a lot heavier than my Virago, they definitely looked more cumbersome. And watching the experienced guide go down on his GS in front of inexperienced me on the 35 year old Yamaha, us having no issues, made my day. Yes, I know, I am petty :p