Bleeding the Blackbird's brakes

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, May 19, 2018.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Fuck it's been about 5 years since I last posted in the Workshop forum!

...Probably because it's been about 5 years since I last serviced a bike :rolleyes:

I looked at the Blackbird and thought yeah, she deserves a birthday. Over a few days though. It desperately needs new tyres - I've been rolling around with canvass showing so it's probably well spent. But today I decided to bleed the hydraulic clutch because it had been too long.

Went as per normal - I managed to bleed it while making a colossal mess. All good.

Then I thought, Oh, I might as well bleed the brakes while I'm here...

:O

Man, I forgot just how much of a pain in the arse these dual combined brakes are. Hooee, what a mess. And it's full of air now, and I need more fluid, and better tools, and a vacuum bleeder... You have to fill the callipers with fluid from the centre of the calliper, not the reservoir. Then you have to pump the front lefer to bleed the lower rear calliper... then pump the foot brake while bleeding the front right calliper... Fuck me swinging what a process!

I'll have to get to it tomorrow morning with some more tools - and I'll have to get myself a vacuum bleeder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Sounds like gangs of fun...not.

What are you so worried about anyway, brakes only slow you down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

They sure do - now the rear brake is permanently pressed - serious drag when you roll down the road :X

5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Pretty sure those combined brake systems have to be bled in a certain order, or some other whizzbangery stuff. Should be able to find a spewtube video on how to do it, or at least google up some illustrations ...

Good luck with it, mate.

6. jonescg

I'm tempted to blank off the silly bits and have a foot brake that activates the rear caliper only, and a front brake that activates the front calipers only. The drag as gone away, but now if I want to use rear brake I have to foot ump it twice to get feel... At least the front is OK.