Bike to bike communication

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cal

Cal Hotshot
    Administrator Super Mod

Yep, same here, people are amazed i'm on the bike when they call me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The AGV doesn't have recesses around the ears - at least not where my ears are placed :oops:

I will not use my set for anything but voice - talking to my son. I couldn't care less about the sound quality with music or phone or radio as it will never happen. If I can understand what the kid says and, more importantly, he can get what I tell him, at speeds up to about 100 kph, I'm good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Norwegian law requires you to do this?

I'm with you, I have no interest in people speaking to me while I'm riding, or driving for that matter.

4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, when learning you must have communication. I can either ride pillion and shout, or use a radio when on separate bikes. Both will have to use yellow reflective vests, the learner with a red L on the back.

Sound was quite good, actually, but placement of speaker is super-critical; 5 mm off and you can barely hear anything compared to the side that's spot on. Wind noise is constantly transmitted, though, which isn't too cool. Especially from my son to me. Facing a headwind at 100 kph made my helmet so loud from wind noise plus the noise from the kid's mic that it became very unpleasant and a conversation wasn't really possible. In calmer air, I could hear him fine at 150.

There was no break-up with a distance of 150 metres between us, which was good. But after about 90 minutes I got some electronic noise in my speakers. I turned the communication off and back on and everything was fine again.

I still find the speakers stupid thick and awfully hard, but it was tolerable for me. The kid developed a severe headache after about an hour. We will try with repositioned speakers in his HJC Spies replica, but if that doesn't help, I will move it over to the AGV he used earlier and just remove padding until he's good as I do not feel like removing styrofoam from his high cost lid.

All in all I will say it's useful for the purpose - being able to give instructions and also for the kid to ask questions. It was also a good feature when passing slower traffic as I could tell him to get in position for overtaking. If only the speakers were less intrusive...

5. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

Do you have it on the push the button to talk mode, or the voice activated mode? Push button mode it's obviously never a problem.

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

We've run the radios in full duplex mode and apart from the discomfort issues they have been very good. Reception is clear most of the time, although with strong headwinds causing turbulence it can be difficult to understand each other above 80-100 kph. In smoother air, they work fine up to speeds no learner should be travelling at.

Operating time has been more than impressive, with over 10 hours of operation allowed before the leds got red - and that's with quite a bit of chatting :up:

My set seems to give a lot more sound on one side, though, but I can live with that.

7. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

On mine the sound would sometimes come out one ear only, but when you press on it I'd get both ears. I just sprayed the electrical contacts between the removeable part and the helmet mounted part with some lanolin spray and it's been better.

You could rub the contacts on a sheep if you didn't have any lanolin spray handy :D

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

OK, worth a shot. Thanks!

9. jeff seach

jeff seach sometimes knows S from C

We brought the Scala rider Q2 when Linda got her bike. purely for training purposes.
    2 years later I still use it, now for teaching the boy. but even alone, not really for music but mainly for the phone.
    it has been clear both transmitting and receiving and the only issue was static in mine so bad one day I turned it off. but changing the units from my helmet to Linda's (not the mic, just the quick release head unit thingo) fixed it.
    David's HJC? helmets interior is all glued in so i could not remove any foam nor could I use the clamp to mount the mic, so had to use the double sided sticky mount. but it still fits the ear phones well and he hears me telling him to slow down, but also encouragement during the slow speed manoeuvres in the car park.
    all that one needs to remember is to have the mic directly in front ones mouth, then all good.. also we have been a fair few hundred meters away and still good, but get out from line of site, like around the corner with houses in between and it drops out, but joins back up quickly.
    it can Bluetooth to the GPS I use but I don't use that function.

so far I (we) love it.