A Weekend in Oberon.

Discussion in 'Rides' started by lindsaymac, Jan 6, 2015.

1. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Racked up a couple of thousand more km's on my KTM, got 95,000 on it now, between Christmas and New Year. Headed up to Armidale on Boxing Day arvo and over-nighted at a mate's place, along with a couple of other like-minded lunatics. Headed down to Muswellbrook, thence Bylong Valley Way, to lunch in Rylstone, then across via Sofala to Kelso, where we hooked up with a few more lads. Landed at the Royal Hotel in Oberon about four-ish; of which a long time friend of our Armidale host has just bought the lease, and found they had Fat Yak on tap, win!

Just dismounted at Rylstone, and as you can see, an eclectic range of motorbicycles were put to good use. A DR650, Ducati Sport Classic, Speed Triple, my Kato, and the Multi-Strada.

[​IMG]

As we had all been strictly *cough-cough*law-abiding denizens of the Queen's highways, we continued in err...similar vein, to Ilford, and then it was on again from there to Kelso. We had seen one HWP car since we left Armidale. Nothing changed.

Timed our arrival at Kelso perfectly, as bubba had just pulled up on his 800 Viffer, and then, as we were dragging our helmets and stuff off, some other protaganists arrived. Before we set off again, bubba warned of a persistent HWP car between the highway and O'Connell, which we duly encountered just out of the latter, but as I said, we were law-abiding folk, so he paid us no heed. Nor we him; the distance between there and Oberon was covered with an exceptional degree of alacrity.

If there had been any kiddies to think of...sorry, but they'd have died.

As mentioned earlier, with a decent tipple on the tap, a glorious evening was spent with a bunch of blokes I don't get to see often enough.

Next morning, we all dragged ourselves out of bed, and shuffled a couple of hundred metres up the street to the bakery; the one next to the pub was closed, where a double-shot cappucino, with a couple of croissants to wash down, were purchased. Shuffled back to the pub and proceeded to the upstairs verandah, where our freshly purchased comestibles were consumed. After about half-an hour of dribbling shit while we breakfasted, the rumble of a group of approaching motorcycles shattered our little reverie; the Sydney mob had finally arrived.

Some decided coffee was in order, some beer, others couldn't seem to make their minds up.

[​IMG]

They had left Sydney in a heavy fog at about 0700 that morning, and had the slippery delights of wet, cold, and foggy, Bell's Line and Duckmaloi roads, to sharpen their senses up on the way, and as we'd had nothing but sunshine that morning, they were as keen as.

Out towards Tarana, then hang a left back to OÇonnell, where the pub was open, so some 20-odd motorcyclists had to stop for a beer, didn't they?

A re-run of the previous days O'Connell to Oberon Grand Prix was quickly organised, then on through Oberon and Black Springs to Taralga, for lunch. Which was pretty bloody tasty, actually, but Taralga has one minor shortcoming - no fuel on weekends. After the race down the hill, some people's fuel lights were on, strangely.

To Crookwell, on the Laggan Road, where there is still about 3 or 4kms of gravel, but followed by the most amazing piece of, billiard-table smooth, newly constructed road, or trudge on in to Goulburn. Gus, who was riding his immaculate black Sport Classic, wasn't keen on the gravel idea, so we went to Goulburn, re-fuelled, then headed out to Crookwell, and across through Laggan to Taralga anyway. Gus was not amused, but there'd been a light shower of rain not long before we came along, so he didn't get much dust on his bike anyway. All good.

If we thought the trip down was covered briskly, the race was definitely on for the return leg, except we chose the Shooter's Hill variant over the Black Springs option, where a great deal of fun was had. My 950 SM, a 1200 Multistrada, and an 1190 Adventure, were on for the podium, and I had no trouble keeping them honest through the corners, but give those bastards a kilometre long straight.... Farn cahns. There were more corners than there were straights, so it wasn't that hard to pull them back, and they had grown accustomed to me rounding them up on the outside on the left-handers; they were backing off, while I didn't think I needed to. 85k advisory's taken at 185 seemed to be working okay. :mrgreen:
    We were all grinning like loons when we pulled up back at the pub...then the beer started to flow again.

Next morning we were packed and heading to Coolah, where another mate and his brother have recently purchased a 2,000acre farm, so out through Tarana towards Lithgow we went, figuring we'd be at the farm around lunchtime. Hah! The Multistrada made it as far as Tarana, when the rear tyre developed a rather inconvenient flat spot, on the bottom. Luckily we had trye repair kits, and the MS pilot had a 12v mini compressor in his top box.

The offending object was removed,

[​IMG]

No wonder the tyre went flat so quickly!

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a pristine, '81 Katana, on the right of pic. Wire-wheel model, too. Prick also has an RE5, an RG500, and a 750 Water bottle in his shed.

[​IMG]

A plug was inserted, the tyre reinflated, and we were on our way once more, for about 20kms, when the tyre spat the plug. So we put another one in, reinflate, then rejoin the fray. This time it lasted about 60kms, then spat it again. Put two plugs in it this time, and that seems to have worked. Lost 4psi overnight, then no more between there and Armidale the next day.

Spent an enjoyable evening at the Farm, then headed off the next morning to Qurindi, for brunch, Wallabadah for fuel, then Nundle for a beer, before tackling the forestry roads over to Thunderbolts way, then home via Walcha, and Armidale.

2,012 kilometres with a moving average of 95km/h.

Oh yeah, stopped in Mudgee, to buy some more tyre plugs, as we'd used the last two on the final repair, and found this on the back of a ute...

[​IMG]

Young feller that's building it is going to ride it on the road. :shocked!:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 lindsaymac, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Hey Lindz... Long time !C. Ta 4 the pics. Happy new yeah, cahn! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 kneedragon, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

oooooh, not many of the 950 SM make it to 100,000km.....

5. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Lindz's hasn't yet either :wink:

Nice write up ya old bugger

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

:shock:

:lol:

Thanks for the write-up and pictures, Lindz :up:

7. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Will you two get a fuggen room...ffs!

You've still got yours, Tim?

Antonio Lothario wimped it and took the engineers route, by buying something "sensible"; poor Audrey, if only she'd known.

yeah, I know, shut the door on my way out. :err:

8. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

Yep. Still got mine but it has been listed on bikesales for a couple of weeks now. Currently sitting at 43,000km.

Not expecting a quick sale but I thought same of my Mark 1 Speed Triple which sold in a flash in early December.

9. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Good to see you getting out and amongst it Lindz

10. junkmale

junkmale Flagging member

Places I'd rather spend a weekend than Oberon.

Just about everywhere.

11. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

All ya need to do to appreciate Oberon a bit more is to spend a weekend at Blayney