A little tank slapper

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by GrahamB, May 9, 2013.

1. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Midnight suspension tuning?

:-k

....nah, would never happen.

<roll

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vicko

Vicko Tiggerific
    Super Mod

You rang? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Could it be that the rear slid a little, causing an alarmed rider to tens up, the rear end gripped and started bouncing a bit as a result, leading forces through the frame and then the rider onto the handlebars? The tight grip would keep the wobble going. Letting go of the bars is, while scary, apparenty the safest thing to do and will make the machine calm down.

4. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Have you had a good high speed lock to lock tankslapper Faffi ? I have, and honestly holding onto the bars or not wasn't really an option, it's pretty friggin violent ! Both big ones I was just happy to stay on !

5. SCC

SCC Old slow and forgetful

Letting go of the bars just not going to happen from my experience. If you don't hold on for dear life you would be chucked off the bike.
    When you are in a bad one the back wheel comes off the ground as the front turns against your momentum. I wonder if that had anything to do with back pumping

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I don't know this from anything but what I've read. Like this:

7. Vicko

Vicko Tiggerific
    Super Mod

Taking the weight off the front used to be the only way to stop a slapper at the crest on the back straight at Broadford.

I'm sure I've told the story before about testing with team green the day they tried the then brand new zx10 there for the first time. The only way they could stop it throwing its head around like a crack whore was to wheelie pretty much the entire length of the back straight..

8. Yeldarb

Yeldarb Two wheels short...

I remember watching a video of some bloke at some speed trials somewhere...the bike started a massive tank slapper at about 1 million miles per hour so he simply slid off the side of the bike and rolled to a very uncomfortable stop. The bike however continued on, leveled out, and then gradually rolling to a stop and falling on it's side. More proof that the bike is usually better than the rider and the less the rider does to interfere with the bike the better.

PS - That video almost scared my shit out.

9. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

I find all this ""Do this when in a tankslapper"Advice, a bit like "Punch a Shark if it tries to bite you" Advice......The reality of the situation usually throws your options out the door.

10. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Agreed Davo

And there is also a huge difference to a good old fashioned head shake (like the one I used to get everylap coming over the hump at Broadford fpr example) and a violent, lock to lock slapper like in the video. Headshakes I just let settle themselves, the full tankslapper I'm just happy to have not crashed, but both times I've stopped and got off, thumbes bruised and jocks loaded :eek: