5 inches can be big

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by faffi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Bought an old, but barely used, Wilton vise with 5 in. jaws and 8 in. span. These cost list USD 1490 today in USA, and about 50 % more here. I paid the eqv. of USD 270. Pretty stoked with that. Should last my lifetime and probably even that of my grandchildren as well. Downside? The thing weighs a friggin' 96 lbs according to the spec sheet. Yes, it is heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RUSS M8 likes this.
  3. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

Good buy there faffi. Don't forget to make some aluminium slip-ons for the things you don't want jaw pattern indentations on. Alu angle cut the right length works nicely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  4. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

5 inches big.....so there is still hope for me yet! lol

PS

Nice find though you'll need something solid to attach it to as it could probably sink the Titanic!

#3 PAPPACLART, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    faffi likes this.
  5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Good score, Eirik, definitely see you out, prolly your young bloke, as well.

faffi likes this.
  6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

:D @PAPPACLART

I already have alu jaws plus plastic jaws from the old vise, held in place with magnets, so I should be good there. Also have some thin alu angle bits I use for delicate stuff.